A vacant house was flooded by a nearby creek in 2009. Nothing was done to clean it after the flood and the house filled with mold. If someone were to buy the house and gut it, do you need to have spe******ts come to remove the mold or can this be a DIY project since the house is dry? The mold is no longer living, correct?
Last edited by pfef929; 05-08-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Re: Mold Removal
You don't have to hire a professional, but you DO have to be EXTREMELY careful! For all intents and purposes, mold never dies. While the moisture may have left, there is still plenty of mold still present that can be detrimental to your health. More than likely, if you enter this home today, you're going to smell a mold/mildew aroma, guess what, prolonged contact with that will cause you some serious respiratory problems, or worse. Don't despair, you can use a respirator mask that is rated for mold - check with your local paint dealer, not a big box, an actual paint dealer. You can purchase a mask that will protect you from the mold. Once the house is stripped to bare studs, you can then treat the mold with any number of methods. Once treated, ventilate the space adequately, and then you can enter unprotected and start repairs.
Re: Mold Removal
to investigate if a house has mold (basement does) in the upper floors, test insturments like moisture meters, air sampling cassettes, and boroscopes have been recommended. Does anyone have experience with these instruments and could recommend, or at least say if there are ones that are not worth buying?
In particular , what brands / models might be appropriate for non-commercial use for the boroscopes?