+ Reply to Thread

Smile Peeling paint/drywall around shower stall

Hi:

About 2 years ago, I re-caulked the edges between our acrylic shower stall and the walls.

My husband is the only person who showers in this particular shower stall.

I noticed that all the caulk has peeled back from the drywall and when I picked at it, it chipped it down to a fine paper layer on the wall.

I have no idea how to fix this. Should I peel away all the damaged area and use joint compound to spackle over it.

What type of primer/paint should I use to paint over it? There is presently Sherwin Williams latex over it. (Which I personally think is cr*p.)

Also, should I use a different caulk? I used latex caulk before.

We have no mildew in this bathroom as we have a fan in there.

I'm confused. This has not happened in my bathroom. Additionally, I am on the internet and everyone contradicts what the other person says. Kilz oil based primer. Yes...no. Zinsser PermaWhite. Latex will peel, etc., etc., etc.

Please, anyone who can offer expert advice on this would be greatly appreciated, as my husband is totally clueless when it comes to fixing anything in our home.

Not to mention that we can't get any contractors to ever keep their word and show up.

Thanks!

Judy G.

Default Re: Peeling paint/drywall around shower stall

Good Going for your efforts...

How close is this drywall to the shower?? You mentioned caulking the drywall?

A bathroom/shower is a VERY wet environment. Even with a fan. The only type of drywall recommended is Greenboard. Which is no longer recommended.

If your drywall is abutting up to the shower; and not actually part of the shower walls - than you should use PVA sealer. Glidden makes a good one. Kilz is for sealing out stains.

PVA prepares the drywall for paint. Again - if this is drywall abutting the shower - than use PVA to prepare for paint; paint; than use a quality caulk.

Drywall is not damaged just because you can see the paper facing. That's all you see when you buy new drywall. The paper facing. So don'r rip out the paper facing. You 'mud' or spackle over the paper facing; let it dry; sand smooth; PVA over that...

If the drywall is cracked - use some fiberglass mesh tape on the drywall, and mud over that... You can also use "SilverSet" mud; or a 'HOT' mud - which is actually an epoxy type of mud - sets very quickly; and is more water resistant.

Any paint that is not rated for moisture areas - is not going to work out that well. Any paint which does not have a good foundation (the surface it is being applied to) will have problems.

You state this has not happened in your bathroom. I assume they are about the same then? Showers have lots of water dripping down the sides. We need to control the direction of this water. Where it is going. If we caulk all over - and don't give a channel (like in a glass shower door) for the water to flow to the pan and the drain - the water will find other places to go - and cause problems.

As far as making your husband not be clueless with homes, and helping yourself as well - go buy a couple of books. Books exist on remodeling bathrooms, elecrical wiring; floors, adding rooms; putting in stairs, etc. A few hours of reading these can be extremely informative. Available at hardware stores everywhere.

Any drywall replacement that you do - consider purchasing FiberGlass drywall. (Denshield - by Georgia Pacific) Quite scratchy to cut; but extremely tough around bathrooms. (Shower walls should not be made with drywall - even fiberglass type.)

Good luck.