+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling Fan Install

Hi,

Im installing a ceiling fan in the kitchen of my duplex which was built in 1951. Some of the wiring has been updated to Romex while some has not, in this case, the wiring for the original (now fried Hampton Bay) fan is the old wiring. The previous owners remodeled the kitchen connected wires to extend them for the install. My problem is, the new fan is done by remote control and the receiver only requires two wires to hook up, neutral and power. Problem is, I do not believe that I have a neutral wire.

Here is what I have and why I do not believe that I have a neutral wire.
    - The green wire is the ground to the brace from the fan.
    - The blue wire from the fan goes to the ceiling red (this is a switched lead)
    - The white from the fan goes to the tan lead from the ceiling
    - Black from the fan went to black from the wall

What is confusing me is that there are four wires from the ceiling but only two are needed for the modern fan. The other thing that is confusing me is the wiring for the switch. It controls only lamp. The fan was independent from the switch. I could turn it on and off with the pull chain. Im going to have to dead head one of these wires, Im guessing. Right?

Default Re: Ceiling Fan Install

the white is the neutral. the red and black are the feed for the light and the fan, hence the two switches. easiest way is to hook up the black to black, white to white, ground to ground. one of the switches will not operate anything. simply put a cap on the red wire and stick it up in the box and the switch that has the red wire will no longer be used.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    the white is the neutral. the red and black are the feed for the light and the fan, hence the two switches. easiest way is to hook up the black to black, white to white, ground to ground. one of the switches will not operate anything. simply put a cap on the red wire and stick it up in the box and the switch that has the red wire will no longer be used.
    Or, keep the fan and the light on separate switches anyway, which would be my vote. I've got a remote controlled fan and the remote worked for less than a year before crapping out, had it not been double switched to begin with, it would be a pain in the neck to use now.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by derelict View Post
    Hi,

Im installing a ceiling fan in the kitchen of my duplex which was built in 1951. Some of the wiring has been updated to Romex while some has not, in this case, the wiring for the original (now fried Hampton Bay) fan is the old wiring. The previous owners remodeled the kitchen connected wires to extend them for the install. My problem is, the new fan is done by remote control and the receiver only requires two wires to hook up, neutral and power. Problem is, I do not believe that I have a neutral wire.

Here is what I have and why I do not believe that I have a neutral wire.
    - The green wire is the ground to the brace from the fan.
    - The blue wire from the fan goes to the ceiling red (this is a switched lead)
    - The white from the fan goes to the tan lead from the ceiling
    - Black from the fan went to black from the wall

What is confusing me is that there are four wires from the ceiling but only two are needed for the modern fan. The other thing that is confusing me is the wiring for the switch. It controls only lamp. The fan was independent from the switch. I could turn it on and off with the pull chain. Im going to have to dead head one of these wires, Im guessing. Right?
    MLB what you said is true but I see the OP's problem, the previous owner extended the wires and substituted a brown wire for a white.

Next he will have to provide constant power to the remote module connections. It probably gets it's power as you described blk-blk and wht-wht.

The red from the switch will no longer be needed and should be capped off. The wall switch will no longer work.

The blk is always hot so should be connected to the wireless module, same for the brown with the white tape.

Next connect the wire labeled "light" on the module to the blu lead on the fixture.

And, the wire labeled "fan" on the module to the blk wire on the fixture

Be sure the fan/light hardware is solidly connected to the ceiling and power is off while handling wires.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content