+ Reply to Thread

Default Extending Electrical Outlets in baby's room

Installed beadboard in baby's room but cannot attached outlet covers as outlet is now recessed by depth of beadboard. How can I extend the outlets to allow the attachment of the covers?
    Thank You!

Default Re: Extending Electrical Outlets in baby's room

If you didn't cut the holes in the beadboard too large, move the outlet to be on top of the beadboard, otherwise cut some shims out of the material, drill a hole for the fixture screws. Another option is to use small washers.

Make sure you turn off the circuit before touching the fixtures, live circuits can be deadly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You can also get box extenders from the orange big box store. They are an off-white plastic, sold in packs of two. Do not get the blue ones. You just slide them right into the existing box and pound them in(gently) and the tabs of the box rest on the new wall surface.
    Do not use the extended screws that come with the packs as you will get frustrated turning the screwdriver that many times.

I am using these box extenders now in my home where the receptacle boxes were installed in the shiplap before 1/4" drywall was installed, they have been great.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Here is a link to the product I meant: http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-Elec...m/B000GAQE9A/2

I simply use longer screws and instead of washers, I use nuts (which are thicker than washers).

Box extenders is the safest way to go, they keep the power screws inside the box.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    You can also get box extenders from the orange big box store. They are an off-white plastic, sold in packs of two. Do not get the blue ones. You just slide them right into the existing box and pound them in(gently) and the tabs of the box rest on the new wall surface.
    Do not use the extended screws that come with the packs as you will get frustrated turning the screwdriver that many times.

I am using these box extenders now in my home where the receptacle boxes were installed in the shiplap before 1/4" drywall was installed, they have been great.
    Good advice Function especially if the finished surface is combustible, where the edge of the box should be even with the finished surface.

But, I'm not sure why you don't like the blue ones. Have you had a problem with them?
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post

But, I'm not sure why you don't like the blue ones. Have you had a problem with them?

I was being specific to his purpose. The blue ones I found are a fixed depth and only add 3/4" no matter what. If you only need 1/4" of depth, they did not work without a hacksaw. There may be others that are blue and not fixed depth.