+ Reply to Thread

Default Can light problem

I have three can lights in my kitchen. When I turned the switch I heard a little pop as one light went out and I thought I saw a little spark falling. I put in a 65 watt indoor flood lamp. It lasted about 1 second. I put in a 35 watt halogen par 30 bulb. It lasted 1 second. I looked at the inside of the can and don't see any obvious problem. The other lights still work fine. The breaker didn't pop. What would cause new bulbs to die at once but not trip a breaker or affect the other lights? Do I just need to replace the can or do I have an electrical problem?

Default Re: Can light problem

Quote Originally Posted by Rsers View Post
    I have three can lights in my kitchen. When I turned the switch I heard a little pop as one light went out and I thought I saw a little spark falling. I put in a 65 watt indoor flood lamp. It lasted about 1 second. I put in a 35 watt halogen par 30 bulb. It lasted 1 second. I looked at the inside of the can and don't see any obvious problem. The other lights still work fine. The breaker didn't pop. What would cause new bulbs to die at once but not trip a breaker or affect the other lights? Do I just need to replace the can or do I have an electrical problem?
    Have you tried the "bad" bulbs in a table lamp? They could be fine but the spring in the center of the can light socket needs to be pulled out a little (w/ power off) to make better contact with the lamp.

Or, you've got a multi-wire branch circuit that has a loose neutral connection. Have you noticed some lights are very bright and some are very dim?
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I'm hoping the problem is solved. After losing two expensive bulbs I was hesitant to try another. I finally tried a low watt regular bulb which worked okay. Finally I tried the more expensive reflector flood bulb. It's working and I'm hoping it will last. It's hard to believe I would get two defective bulbs in a row, but that appears to be the case. I guess some of the expensive 4000 hr bulbs only last a few seconds.

Next time around, I'll manufacture light bulbs...

You sell them expensive, they last a second and the customer comes back for more.