+ Reply to Thread

Question finding centipedes around

Hi...
    Now that it is warmer out I am seeing centipedes in my bedroom. This week I had turned off the furnace cause it is warm enough not to run it. I saw a tiny centipede on Monday morning and a larger one today. I sprayed the bedroom vents with Home Defense cause someone told me that insects can live in the central air conditioning vents.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of problem. My house is a small ranch so I can see ANYTHING that might enter it and I am not infested with any kind of bug but in the summer I do see that some bugs do get in. I found a small hole in the garage which I am going to fill with spray foam. But the bedroom is too far from the garage for the centipede to have crawled from there.

Help I need advise.
    Thanks
    Tina

Default Re: finding centipedes around

Tina,

Centipedes are usually rather easy to get rid of, but you have to understand that they are foraging for food if you see them in a bedroom/living room, etc.----they can't live without water/moisture, so they always make their nests in those parts of the house where moisture can be found, such as under kitchen sinks, bathroom plumbing, cellar drain pipes, especially ones that have small leaks, the base of foundation/cellar walls that may show signs of small amounts of moisture; don't ignore even heating pipes or ducts, that may have a small moisture leak; remove any moist thatch and leaf litter from around the exterior of your house foundation, and also any moist soil/rotted wood, etc. from along the insides of your foundation; spray seal any foundation cracks-----if you buy a large can of insect spray at the supermarket and SPRAY ALL THE MOIST AREAS just mentioned, you will cut off their supply of water and they will be eliminated; use insecticides with care, especially if you have young children; look on the label of the insecticide before you buy & see if you can find one that has at least one of the ingredients listed at the bottom of the article by Jeffrey Hahn; if the insecticide spray doesn't do the trick, try adding sticky insect catchers like "Roach Motel".

Also vacuum kitchen & dining room floor areas to eliminate any food particles that may be present on floors to deny them this food source; and yes, it is also a good idea to spray and seal any obvious cracks around the house with the spray foam, as you have been doing.

It's not unusual for them to spend the night in a damp area of the cellar/utility room, and then migrate to the living areas during daytime hours when it's light to hunt for the very tiny insects/mites that make up their food; if you happen to have any pets that may have fleas, this is an attractive source of food for them.

Centipedes can move fast, especially across a ceiling, or floor, but they stand out as they perch on ceilings due to the color contrast of white to the darker color of the centipede, and can often be hit with the insect spray if you move fast; they often temporarily stop short out of confusion as they run, so have the spray can handy, & if you see one running across the ceiling or a wall, dim the lights & try to get it with the spray; even getting a small amount of insect spray on them is enough to knock them out.

https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/show...ght=centipedes
    http://www1.extension.umn.edu/garden...es-centipedes/
    Last edited by von_steuben; 04-26-2013 at 05:23 PM.

[QUOTE=von_steuben;277584]Tina,

Centipedes are usually rather easy to get rid of, but you have to understand that they are foraging for food if you see them in a bedroom/living room, etc.----

Thanks von_steuben....

I have had this problem for the past 3 years....time to get ride od them forever. I don't see any moist areas in the house or basement but I will do the spraying around the water pipes etc. I guess from what you have said they are around more than I thought. I usually "see" about 10 per year but they are prob in areas that I do not think to look or spray. I use Home Defense and it is pretty good. I always spray the boarders of the basement and anything that comes in the basement dies...even a mouse. So I will now spray the things you mentioned and do a better job of spraying around the outside of the house.

One thing I never see any of these bugs in the winter so they must find a way to get in and I hope that the sealer will do the trick.

Thanks again.
    Tina

Fighting off bugs, insects and other undesirable characters is a full time job. You just have to spray on a regular basis.

Sealing holes that you see around the house won't stop them from coming in. They can squeeze through the tiniest holes.

I have them too, I live in a single story house. Those who live in high risers probably don't have them, or have less of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Fighting off bugs, insects and other undesirable characters is a full time job. You just have to spray on a regular basis.

Sealing holes that you see around the house won't stop them from coming in. They can squeeze through the tiniest holes.

I have them too, I live in a single story house. Those who live in high risers probably don't have them, or have less of them.
    Thanks for you comment....but I never hear anyone else in my neighborhood complaining about centipedes.......unless they just don't want anyone to know....lol. I will keep spraying. How many a year do you see? I see approx. 10 per yr and only in the summer. Do you see any in the winter? I know they go into the ground in the winter and I don't have any ground in my house so they must live out doors after the summer. I ask this cause I will cry if I see them in the winter also.

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by tina418 View Post
    Thanks for you comment....but I never hear anyone else in my neighborhood complaining about centipedes.......unless they just don't want anyone to know....lol. I will keep spraying. How many a year do you see? I see approx. 10 per yr and only in the summer. Do you see any in the winter? I know they go into the ground in the winter and I don't have any ground in my house so they must live out doors after the summer. I ask this cause I will cry if I see them in the winter also.

Christine
    10 a year? not too many. I see less than that, but I have a bigger problem with earwigs.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    10 a year? not too many. I see less than that, but I have a bigger problem with earwigs.
    I am not familiar with earwigs.....so I am not sure if I have seen any. I also get flies (I think I have that solved) and garden beetles....all coming in from the garage (I believe).

Tina