+ Reply to Thread

Default basement floor drain question

I'm a new home owner trying to learn about my house's infrastructure. After having to replace a p-trap in my bathroom I now know about p-traps and blocking sewer gasses. My question is how do basement floor drains work? Are they connected to the sewer? Do they have a trap that needs to be filled with water like p-traps?

Also, as an aside question, do insects routinely crawl into the house via the basement floor drain? Just wondering where all these house centipedes are coming from.

Default Re: basement floor drain question

There are several different types of basement floor drains. I'm sure there are a ton of members here who can help out, can you be more specific as to what kind of set up your home currently has?
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content

I don't know the setup. That's why I'm asking. All I can see is a drain in my basement floor. I don't know what it's connected to. Until recently I had no idea that sink p-traps etc. had to be full of water to prevent sewer gas escaping. Now I'm trying to understand how other things around the house work in order to maintain them properly.

the toilet has a trap built into it so a waste pipe for a toilet in a basement most likely goes directly into the sewer line. if you install a sink in a basement, the trap will be above floor level. if you install a shower or tub in a basement the trap will have to be installed below the level of the concrete floor. anything past a trap, anywhere in a house is a straight shot into the sewer line.

Quote Originally Posted by ratkindler View Post
    I don't know the setup. That's why I'm asking. All I can see is a drain in my basement floor. I don't know what it's connected to. Until recently I had no idea that sink p-traps etc. had to be full of water to prevent sewer gas escaping. Now I'm trying to understand how other things around the house work in order to maintain them properly.
    Ah, understood Seems like MLB can be of help in your situation. Otherwise if possible, a photo may get you a bit more help. Hopefully we'll be able to get you through.
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content