+ Reply to Thread

Default Roofing Shingles

My wife and I are trying to decide on what type shingles to put on our new roof replacement. I want to use a higher grade with a lifetime warranty. She wants to use the standard shingles with a 25 year warranty. If we invest the extra cost for the better shingles will it pay off in increasing the value of our home? We plan to sell the home soon after replacing the roof.

Default Re: Roofing Shingles

Personally,I wouldn't pay a dime extra for a house that had more expensive shingles. My opinion is you would be wasting your money if you're moving soon.

agreed.....if you're going to be selling within the next 5 or so years you will be perfectly fine with a standard 30 year shingle.

Well...it's not that clear.

There are others considerations besides the cost of the roof:

- For instance, we don't know the house and the area. We don't know your market conditions, your location.

- We don't know how easy or difficult it's to sell a house in your area.

In my days as a real estate agent, I learned about curb appeal. A house that looks good from the outside, will sell faster and for more than a similar house in lesser shape.

For me, a 25-30 year three tab roof will stop the rain, but lacks curb appeal. A 35 year dimensional roof looks much better, for just a little more in materials (basically the same labor) you will get a much more attractive exterior. If it were me, I'd go with the nicer roof.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    For me, a 25-30 year three tab roof will stop the rain, but lacks curb appeal. A 35 year dimensional roof looks much better, for just a little more in materials (basically the same labor) you will get a much more attractive exterior. If it were me, I'd go with the nicer roof.
    You're talking about 3-tab vs dimensional, not 25-25 year shingles over lifetime warranty. I agree, dimension looks far better than three tab, but really, a new roof is a new roof, and 99.9% of the house buying public isn't going to notice what kind of roof it is or what the warranty is, which most of the time is NON-TRANSFERABLE, so regardless of the type of roof, the warranty is pretty moot if the home is a turn-n-burn.

If this is a primary residence, then by all means go for the better quality shingle and warranty, as a flipper, it's not worth the extra money, there will be no appreciative value other than being a new roof.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

When I bought my house about three years ago I did not consider the quality of the roof shingles. My question was only how old is the roof.
    In my area a composite roof is almost never expected to last more than 20 years. If the roof was 5 years old or less, I was go.lden and may never need to replace before moving. 5-10, I will probably have to replace in 10 years or so. 10-15, get ready to replace in a couple of years. 15 or more, build the cost of roof into what I think the house will cost me now.
    Appearance of the roof was not a consideration unless it was not a composite roof. Maybe some people will get picky, but I think I put as much, or maybe more, thought into the roof as the average homebuyer.
    Last edited by function; 05-01-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: I seriously cant type ****en? I hate spambots
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

if your just going to sell the house shortly just put a new roof on it and dont worry about a higher end shingle. a new roof means a new roof to the buyer

if its a house your going to retire in, then invest in a metal roof. my old man had an aluminum roof put on his place back in 98, if the warrenty holds up he has about 185 years left on the warrenty
    fire up the saw and make some dust