+ Reply to Thread

Post Finding the Backwater Valve?

This past week city workers flooded part of our basement clearing a clog in the main sewer line. One of the workers was adamant that our line has a backwater valve and we must have damaged it somehow which allowed this to happen. I have walked up and down our yard but can't find any hint of access to a valve. How can I determine if we actually have a backwater valve or not?

Default Re: Finding the Backwater Valve?

it's called a backflow preventer valve. it's nothing you would be able to find. the only way to determine if you do have one would be to have a plumber with a snake camera check it out.

It is called a backwater valve. A backflow preventer is used on the water service line.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    It is called a backwater valve. A backflow preventer is used on the water service line.
    thanks for the lesson. didn't know that

Regardless of the name, it's a check valve that has a swinging gate or a spring-loaded plunger that only admits water flow in one direction. It swings shut if water should try to go the wrong way.

If the valve is inside your house, it will be between the last branch of the sewer line and where the line exits the foundation. It may be cylindrical; it may also look like a wye fitting with the wye branch plugged and pointing upward. If it's in the yard, it's probably buried, and could be several feet deep.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 05-01-2013 at 01:34 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

They should have a riser tube for examining and repair work. The top of the back water valve comes off for swing gate repair or replacment. If you have a clean out inside your basemeant it should be close to that.

It might look something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sewe...valve&tbm=isch
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.