+ Reply to Thread

Default Tub Spout Problem

I recently installed a new tub spout with a hand-held shower head outlet built in since the last spout was leaking.

I took the old one off using a wrench, scrubbed the threads with a wire brush and some vinegar and then covered the threads with Teflon tape before screwing on the new tub spout.

It started to work fine until I started to take my shower. After a couple of minutes, with the shower head spraying with the water nob all the way up, (I found the temperature doesn't have much to do with it), the water pressure will just suddenly stop. No water comes through the shower head or the tub spout until I turn the water all the way off and press the diverter down.

I can shower with it but only with about 50% of the nob raised and only some water coming through the head. Is there somthing I did wrong or did I just buy a broken tub spout.

Default Re: Tub Spout Problem

sounds to me like you have to change the cartridge in the shower valve. the tub spout shouldn't affect the shower head unless the stopper in the tub spout has broken off.

- The nipple that comes out the wall, the one you attached the new spout to - what kind is it? if it's galvanized, replace it with brass.

- It could be a bad cartridge, as MLB says. Some manufacturers stand behind their products and will send you a new cartridge/stem.

What type and make is the tub faucet? Single lever or tow valve?
    John

I will check on the shower cartridge, MLB. Thank you.

I believe the pipe was brass, dj1. Thank you.

The tub spout is a Danco Replacement Tub Spout with Diverter and Personal Shower Connection, Model # 34230CCB. Site won't let me post the link unless I have posted 10 times, sorry.

I changed out the cartridge, and I'm still having the same problem but now the shower control seems more sensitive to the pressure problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HKEight View Post
    I changed out the cartridge, and I'm still having the same problem but now the shower control seems more sensitive to the pressure problem.
    Still need to know what type and make faucet you have. (Not the spout) I never did think the cartridge is at fault.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Still need to know what type and make faucet you have. (Not the spout) I never did think the cartridge is at fault.
    I don't know what exactly but by looking at manuals ****** @ the delta website, I'm guessing it's one of the 600 series. Not the lever but the knob that your raise up for pressure and roll for temperature. I'm mostly basing this on the shower cartridge though. It's the steel ball kind, and that's the only ones I saw that had them on the manuals.

p.s. Sorry for the delay of the answer, there were some issues that needed to be sorted.

I fixed the problem by taking the tub spout back for a replacement. All better now!