+ Reply to Thread

Default Sliding Pocket Door

My house has a pocket door between the living room and the kitchen/dining area. It rubs inside the frame, squeaks and looks pretty ugly. How hard are these to replace? I'm considering just framing in the "missing" wall section that it slides into, or just changing to a newer, same style door. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Sliding Pocket Door

If this is an old house I'd TRY to keep it to keep the integrity of the old house.
    I have an old (from 93')article from Old House Journal magazine on fixing up and adjusting pocket doors,if you're interested. I don't know if it will fix your problems,but....
    BTW,the article is geared towards old house pocket doors,like 1920's and earlier.

Knowing the age of your pocket door/home would help, but yes, generally you can service the door and rollers without too much difficulty.

On the door side of the jamb you'll find trim, remove the trim and the door will swing out of the opening, which it can then be lifted off the track.

With the door off the track, you can lubricate or replace the rollers. If the door is rubbing on the trim/jamb, then you can reset the trim for clearance or cut it, whichever is necessary.

Reinstall the door back into the opening in the reverse order that it was removed, making adjustments as necessary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sorry for leaving it out but the house was built in 1970, so it's a newer (cheap, mass produced) door. The information is still much appreciated.

You can use WD40 to make it slide easier & it has and it comes with a straw attachment to get to the roller inside on the top of your door. Or if its a nice old door you could strip it & refinish it for a great new look
    I work for Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
    If this is an old house I'd TRY to keep it to keep the integrity of the old house.
    I have an old (from 93')article from Old House Journal magazine on fixing up and adjusting pocket doors,if you're interested. I don't know if it will fix your problems,but....
    BTW,the article is geared towards old house pocket doors,like 1920's and earlier.
    I have a pocket door that is low in the back and need to know how to adjust it. Could you send me a copy of the article?
    I can adjust front of door by turning screw between doors. there is a notched knob on a screw above the track but I don't know what it does. it is not easy to get to, I have to use a screwdriver to push on notches to move it.

Do you have any suggestions - house was built in 1906.

I'll try to dig up the article today. It's buried in a stack of magazines.

cr miller,I found the article and scanned it. I'm having problems attaching the PDF file. It's too big to post here it says. It's only 4 pages. I tried just scanning and attaching 1 page,still too big.
    Maybe you can PM me your E-mail address,and I'll send you the PDF file of the write up.
    Unless somebody knows how to attach a scan in a post?
    Last edited by 67drake; 10-20-2013 at 10:52 AM.

I just got your E-mail address from your user profile. I sent the PDF to you.
    If there is any problem receiving it,let me know,I'll keep working on it.

If your pocket sliding door looking ugly then replace it for my opinion because I have also changed my personal room wooden sliding door recently which looks too ugly..So finally replaced..If your door in wooden frame then replace it my friend!!