+ Reply to Thread

Question LED fixtures for the garage?

I am going to be switching over to all LED lighting and wanted to also get some new LED fixtures for the garage, but I can't find any. Does anyone make these or should I just adapt a bunch of regular ceiling light fixtures for the garage?

Default Re: LED fixtures for the garage?

LED lighting has come a long way in the last few years, which means you no longer need special fixtures to use LED bulbs. I am changing over from incandescent bulbs to LED where appropriate, as the standard bulbs give out. LEDs tend to be a bit brighter, more harsh, but the provide just as much light as a standard bulb, at a fraction of the energy draw. They are not for every application, but they are a HUGE improvement over fluorescent bulbs with out most of the negative side effects.

So what I'm saying is that you can install standard fixtures and use LED bulbs in them, no need for specialty fixtures.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Be careful with your selection of LED bulbs, some of them flicker like old fluorescents, that is they flicker at 120 Hz, some even flicker as low as 60Hz. This can affect the nervous system of small children. Human nervous systems operate at around 50 to 60 Hz, that is why AC electricity is more likely to be fatal at lower voltages, it stops the signals from the brain to your heart.

A quick test, hold a pencil under the light and move it back and forth quickly, if you see spokes, then you want to avoid that bulb. Same test for fluorescents.

Back in the fifties, parents were warned to not let small children watch TV very much for this very reason. In fact they still make this warning even though the new LED and plasma TV's have a much higher flicker rate that is less damaging. But I believe that the fluorescents used in schools and even in the hospital newborn nurseries are just as damaging and is why Autism and Hyperactivity are on the rise.

Keith,
    "just as damaging and is why Autism and Hyperactivity are on the rise." The flicker rate can cause discomfort to certain people ( web.mit.edu/parmstr/Public/NRCan/nrcc38944.pdf ) but Autism & Hyperactivity? Anything to back that statement up?

How high is the ceiling in your garage? What do you plan on doing in the garage -- just getting in & out of the car, wooodworking shop, mechanic work, rec room? Do you need more light over a workbench? The answers to those questions will make a difference in choosing the best lighting options.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Smile Re: LED fixtures for the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    How high is the ceiling in your garage?
    8 1/2 feet.

What do you plan on doing in the garage -- just getting in & out of the car, wooodworking shop, mechanic work, rec room?
    Some mechanic work, but generally I just want it well lit with LED bulbs.

I ended up using 3 of THESE fixtues with 6 of THESE LED bulbs (for a total of 4800 lumens). I should be done with the install tonight. It took several days to run the ground wire into the garage, but I wanted it done right so it was time well spent. Once this is completed then I will install 3 more of the same on the other side of the garage.

Smile Re: LED fixtures for the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I believe that the fluorescents used in schools and even in the hospital newborn nurseries are just as damaging and is why Autism and Hyperactivity are on the rise.
    Yes fluorescents are VERY unhealthy. They all give off mercury vapor among other things. I have thrown all of the ones I have away.

what about the helium LEDs, they are supposed to be good!

Lightbulb Re: LED fixtures for the garage?

Quote Originally Posted by CSMartin View Post
    what about the helium LEDs, they are supposed to be good!
    I don't think those are dimmable. The ones listed above are, although I won't need that feature for my garage. 6 of the 60 watt LED's that I'm using light up that part of my garage like the sun. I was amazed at how bright it was, and even more amazed that they are only using 9 watts of power. I'll be using the same fixture/LED bulb combination on the other side of my garage too. These blow away the fluorescents. Biggest problem is finding a store that has the 5000K version in stock, because people buy one bulb to try them, and then come back and buy 10 more for the rest of their home.