+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Whirlpool washing machine

Guys,

Have an old Whirlpool machine approx 15 years old, need to replace the cp of that. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Old Whirlpool washing machine

Find a manual on-line, locate the damaged part, price said part, then make determination if it's better to spend $ on part or replace machine. Personally, I'd be inclined to just replace the machine, at 15 years old, it's not got much life left in it anyway.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Personally, I wouldn't waste a minute searching for parts. Why?

1. Let's say you found the part, 100% sure it will solve your problem. Knowing Whirlpool, it will cost a bunch. Say you buy it and the machine works...you still have a 15 y.o machine ready to go out anyway. And if it doesn't work...well you're out a couple of hundred. Even Whirlpool admits that Whirlpool machines won't last that long.

2. Now, I doubt that you can find the part - discontinued, phased out - is what you will hear. Better luck looking in used machines, not just under Whirlpool, but about a dozen labels owned by them. But the search will be exhausting.

I will look for a new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Find a manual on-line, locate the damaged part, price said part, then make determination if it's better to spend $ on part or replace machine. Personally, I'd be inclined to just replace the machine, at 15 years old, it's not got much life left in it anyway.
    It works fine apart from that, even with broken CP it works fine, just sometimes you press for drying and it starts with extra rinse option instead of drying. So may be look at pricing it out first then?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't waste a minute searching for parts. Why?

1. Let's say you found the part, 100% sure it will solve your problem. Knowing Whirlpool, it will cost a bunch. Say you buy it and the machine works...you still have a 15 y.o machine ready to go out anyway. And if it doesn't work...well you're out a couple of hundred. Even Whirlpool admits that Whirlpool machines won't last that long.

2. Now, I doubt that you can find the part - discontinued, phased out - is what you will hear. Better luck looking in used machines, not just under Whirlpool, but about a dozen labels owned by them. But the search will be exhausting.

I will look for a new machine.
    A new good Machine costs at least 800 while looking at the part i need to replace would be around 80 - 90 and the machine works perfectly apart from the CP which acts odd at times so i guess replacing would be a better option. I can get the exact CP from a couple of places

The thing is, you've still got an old machine, how long until the next thing goes out? I'm not trying to talk you into buying a new machine, just giving you a little real world experience. To me, $80-90 is a little much to invest into such an old machine, $50 I'd be willing to risk, maybe.

We had a 10 year old washer, I forget the brand. The dial switch went out, and I replaced it for something like $75. Within a year, it smelled like it had a burning belt, changed the belts, plugged it in and the electronics smoked. To add insult to injury, new machines were about $150 less the year before we were forced to buy new.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Lightbulb Re: Old Whirlpool washing machine

Quote Originally Posted by CSMartin View Post
    Have an old Whirlpool machine approx 15 years old, need to replace the cp of that. Any suggestions?
    What is the model number of your machine? There is one that they make which is virtually indestructible. Other companies have tried to copy the design but have been sued. They still make this same basic design, only cosmetic differences. If I saw a picture or model number of what you have that would help.

Gotta agree with dj1 on this one. The transmission in a Whirlpool Washer that is 15 years old is on borrowed time, it it is expensive to replace. Too bad the Maytag commercial washer isn't still available, it was cheap and ultra reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardwhite View Post
    just exchange it with the newer model available in market and this time just try LG washing machine. its the best model in current period of time
    I don't know of too many places that will do exchanges on 15 year old machines, if you know of any let me know because I would love to trade in my old dryer for a new one.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Lightbulb Re: Old Whirlpool washing machine

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Now, I doubt that you can find the part - discontinued, phased out - is what you will hear.
    If he has the machine that I think he has (he hasn't verified this yet) then parts will be available for at least the next decade. Whirlpool own 80% of the market and they just spent a bundle retooling their factory to make this same basic machine for the next 15 years. Other than the way the machine looks and the name on the front, Whirlpool makes all of these machines; Roper, Estates, Maytag, Amana, Admiral and Kenmore

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267
    Too bad the Maytag commercial washer isn't still available, it was cheap and ultra reliable.
    Maytag is owned by Whirlpool and uses the SAME design/parts. This same basic machine has been in production for around 17 years now. The only thing different between a Maytag and a Whirlpool is the marketing.