+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Washing Machine Overflow Pan Drain Connection

I work for a home builder and we are trying to figure out a better way to make the drain connection at the washing machine overflow pan.

Right now, we have a 1" pipe coming up out of the floor with a threaded end (it's the standard fitting, similar to what you can buy at Home Depot). We drill a hole in the bottom of the plastic drain pan, slide it over the pipe, install a black rubber washer, and screw on a nut to secure it.

Additionally, we have been applying a bead of silicone before and after sliding the washers on, but it doesn't help. The main problem is that, whenever the drain pan is rotated (which invariably happens when the installer is trying to lift the washer up over the lip into the pan and slide it around), the silicone seal is broken.

The rubber washer, with or without silicone, never seems to keep things watertight. It's obviously rare that a washer leaks, but 9 times out of 10, the pan drain seal doesn't hold and the water ends up leaking down through the floor to the dining room below instead of making it into the pipe.

Does anyone know of a better solution??

Default Re: Washing Machine Overflow Pan Drain Connection

I think your problem is in the way you drilled a hole in the metal pan. I bet you didn't smooth the hole, and the rubber washer is ineffective. If done correctly, you wouldn't need silicone at all.

Another idea is to get a new pan, drill a smaller hole (1/2"), clean the hole with a grinder and install a 1/2" fitting that will go inside your floor 1" line. Pretty much like a funnel you use to fill your car oil or transmission fluid.

This way the washing machine movements won't affect anything, because you don't have a connection..

Any pan that you're using with a 1" drain is worthless. No drain that small would be able to handle the amount of water you will get from most problems that occur from a clothes washer.
    John

I forgot to specify that we use a plastic pan, not a metal one. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, not every leak from a washing machine causes a deluge.

Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by shaveman View Post
    I forgot to specify that we use a plastic pan, not a metal one. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, not every leak from a washing machine causes a deluge.

Thanks again for the help.
    The two most common leaks are the supply or drain hose fails or the waste line plugs. In both cases your 1" drain would be over whelmed. Also using a plastic pan the movement of the washer would wear holes in the pan in less than a year.
    John

Since a lot of "new" housing has Washer/Dryer on the 2nd floor (bedrooms) as a customer feature, what should the OP do besides not use a 1" drain.

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    Since a lot of "new" housing has Washer/Dryer on the 2nd floor (bedrooms) as a customer feature, what should the OP do besides not use a 1" drain.
    Use an 1-1/2" drain.
    John

the plastic pans I have used in the past have a recessed area in the middle. i use a 2" shower drain. like Johnj20 stated anything smaller will be over whelmed.

Ok, so if we switch to a 1 1/2" or 2" drain, what would you all recommend as the best way to seal the drain fixture to the pan?

I like the shower drain idea. Do you happen to have any photos?

Thanks so much everyone.

This will work for you. It will work in a plastic pan but a metal one would be better. Install it as if it was a sink strainer with putty on the top of the strainer and the gasket under it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Bra...9#.UYEOrKLvtVE
    John