+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Ideas on how to fix this?

We have a daylight basement house built back in 1977. The builder did not leave any clearance from siding to concrete patio, usually there is a 6" minimum with foundation showing then the patio or lawn. They have caulked the aluminum siding directly to the concrete, great!

We are going to replace windows and re-side the back, the rest of the home is brick. Options we have considered are A: Cement lap siding (Hardi), B: Stucco. Have looked into doing a brick wainscotting then lap side the rest, might be hard to match brick though. Also at some point we would like to do a deck as the house was orginally designed for one.

The problem with the brick wainscotting is it should rest on a ledge and not on the patio.
    Also Hardi siding or Stucco should have at least a 2" clearance from the patio.

Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeff

Default Re: Ideas on how to fix this?

Why can you not post pictures until you have 10 or more posts? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Toomanytools? View Post
    The problem with the brick wainscotting is it should rest on a ledge and not on the patio.
    Thanks Jeff
    You can bolt a 4"x4"x 5/16" angle with 5/8" diameter wedge anchor bolts at 24" on center to the foundation slab to carry the brick. The angle iron is the Lintel and will support the brick as long as the brick wall isn't over 10' high. You may want to epoxy the wedge anchor bolts in.

Have an engineer calculate the load numbers
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

True Gizmo:

I wish I could post a picture but, the framing goes all the way down as is even with the patio. When they built the house they poured the basement slab, then framed up the exterior wall. The patio is then even with that slab, so the siding sits right on the patio.
    I have many ideas just looking if someone has come across this before.
    Thanks Jeff

Totally agree with you, no pics until 10 posts is very annoying! Make some posts about other stuff you're wondering about first, that's what I did.