Sounds crazy, but I recently saw an old, restored house that has its original brick foundation. The foundation was in good shape structurally, but the renovators built a new single course concrete block wall around the perimeter, in front of the brick on the inside of the cellar walls. The attempt is to reduce the transmission of water vapor and reduce any mold issues. It looks good right now, but I am concerned the vapor will continue to pass through the brick and build up either behind the concrete block, or pass through the concrete block. It seems either scenario will cause the mortar to fail between the two, and possible cause the concrete block to give way.

Mold is the main concern of the renovators (a non-profit, grant receiving entity) but I feel they should have dealt with the issue by installing membrane waterproofing on the outside, but this is too late to do now, as the water mains and gas mains run along one side, with sidewalks on the other side.

Any thoughts on the success or failure of this concrete block veneering method? I realize painting the block or brick before, can cause blistering, mold growth, and/or choke off the vapor and cause original mortars to crumble, etc. Latex will provide minor help...