+ Reply to Thread

Default Want to paint need help with Prep

I want to paint my boys' room this summer. There were issues with a leaky roof and there was some damage to the window wall of their room (some holes and a few cracks. Can I prep the wall for painting myself, or do I require a professional?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Want to paint need help with Prep

I guess there are some things you can do yourself, but it depends on your experience and willingness to do the labor.

You can watch some demonstrations on youtube.

Water damages have to be cleaned, scr-aped, mudded and skimcoated, primed and painted. In severe cases, the drywall has to be replaced.

Holes and cracks have to be filled in, sanded, primed and painted. For holes and cracks larger than 1/8" use mesh tape.

If you feel you don't have enough experience or this is too much for you, get a handyman's help.

You don't need a professional, do it yourself.

You can prime the water stains, and recaulk around the windows, and then just recoat it.

Feel free to ask me anything you want, I have 28 years experience painting professionally, hopefully this saves you some money!

Good Luck!

Brian
    I work for Hidden Content

Adding to the last reply...please don't use mesh tape over a 1/8 inch hole.. Fill it in with shrink free spackle..
    I work for Hidden Content