+ Reply to Thread

Smile Shipboard Lapping

I have a 100+ year old house and it has shipboard lapping on the inside of the walls. I have no insulation in the walls and want to get some in. My walls have sheetrock, then the shipboard then the studs and then the wooden siding.
    I've thought of three ways to get insullation in in them but don't know which is the best.
    1) blow in fiber insulation between the studs, but I don't really like this idea because the insulation compacts over time.
    2) remove the wooden siding and blow in foam insullation and then replace the wood siding.
    3) remove the sheetrock and shipboard lapping and put in rolled insullation, vapor barrier and then put up new sheetrock. I am leaning towards this as I can do this myself, but I don't know if it is good to leave off the shipboard lapping.

Which is the best way to do the insullation and what are some of the opinions on these processes.

Default Re: Shipboard Lapping

Howdy the "Best" is a great question. In my life the costs weigh heavily so in this case i would probable blow in cellulose - dense packed- so settling is a mute point. Removing the siding if it is 100 years old manly means destroying it unless you spend a great amount of time in the demo an having to reside or drywall the exterior walls is $$$ and dusty and time consuming.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.