+ Reply to Thread

Default Tar to repair a leaking 1 yr old roof?

I am a Home Inspector and Remodeler, as such I understand that "tar" or any other sealant applied to a roof surface will fail. However, I have a customer who's brand new house (<1 year old)had ice damning with leaking this past winter, and their builders solution is to "tar" the offending valley. My question is two part first, are there any publications that directly address the fact that this is not a recommended fix? Also, is anyone aware of how this type of repair will effect the manufactures warranty?

Default Re: Tar to repair a leaking 1 yr old roof?

contact the manufacturer... the ony time my roofer uses tar is when hes shingling a roof in the cold weather.. its not so much fo leaks but to help the shingles stick as teh tar strip doesnt warm up enough to stick on their own
    fire up the saw and make some dust

the leak should fall under the builder's or roofer's warranty. make them fix it.

it is under the builders warranty, that is the problem, he doesn't want to or is unwilling to remove the shingles to fix the root cause. I'm trying to support the homeowners in their attempt for a proper repair.

If the builder refuses to honor his warranty on a roof, bring legal action.

Get a couple of written estimates to fix the leak and go to small claim court. When the builders gets these court papers, he'll spring into action.

Howdy tar exposed to sunlight oxidieses and weathers away. But if applied under shingles it will last the life of the roofing - on average. Ice dambing, darn if they would of run ice an water guard or similar product up the valley then the flashing is a superior method. So i would attempt to seal only the sides of the shingles that aline the valley i prefer a good silicone caulk. do not seal the bottoms of the shingles aligning the valley as trapping water is a outcome you wish to avoid. or another possible solution is to remove the rain gutter if there is one at the end of the valley or install a 5" gutter to get the melting off the roof. Perhaps a little more insulation in the attic or more soffit venting to avoid the ice dambing in the future make sure the exhaust venting ducting of plumbing an appliances are not into the attic- you just never know until you look.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Thanks for the suggestions, neither the homeowner nor I feel that simply covering over a brand new roof is an proper fix to the problem. That is why I'm looking for some written standards that address this issue. The builder is ready and willing to do the work, but to his standard not the homeowner's, and per the written warranty he decides the "best" method of repair. And I guess the inspector in me doesn't want to waste an opportunity to educate him on the term proper.

So again I'll ask, does anyone know if there are any industry publications that would address this type of repair and it's pros and cons?

howdy- you may not find what you are looking for. The roofing may be not only be upto code but built to industry standards. Ice dambing an leakage in a sound roof is not uncommon. In your area is there code for how many feet above the outside wall the roof must have a water barrier, like ice and water shield? Again one might look to what is allowing the icedambing verses an improper roofing installation.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If the builder refuses to honor his warranty on a roof, bring legal action.

Get a couple of written estimates to fix the leak and go to small claim court. When the builders gets these court papers, he'll spring into action.
    100% agree with this statement