+ Reply to Thread

Default 6" recessed light layout help

i have an addition i am putting recessed lights in for general lighting, the addition has a cathedral cieling. all the layouts i find say plan as tho it was a flat cieling and use the light cone given for the layout..... my lights dont say anything about
    spacing criteria or space mounting to height ratio..... the calculators ****** seen to use an 8' cieling as a given since it doesnt ask for cieling heights and most of the layouts plant lights right where the ridge beam is.... any thoughts?

Default Re: 6" recessed light layout help

tough question to answer without being in the space. only thing i can recommend, due to past experience, is to avoid putting recessed ceiling lights so that they're facing you when, perhaps, you're sitting on a couch or watching tv.

as MLB said defintly avoid blinding areas.

For whatever light source you are using, you should be able to get a spec for either a spread angle or a coverage area for a given lamp height.

Using this information, and knowing how high your particular lights will be, you should be able to calculate coverage patterns for your floor area.

A rule of thumb is to overlap each coverage pattern by 50% -- that is, if a fixture covers a 10 foot wide circle you want your fixtures 5 feet apart. Otherwise, you will have significant light/dark gradients.

Keep in mind that as your fixture is raised, the circle spreads, but it also gets dimmer. The way to combat the dimness is to NOT increase the spacing to match the circle spread as you go up, but to maintain the spacing. So if an 8' ceiling suggests placing the cans 6' apart, by maintaining that spacing as the ceiling height increases the illumination level should remain about the same*. The effect is that the overlap might be 80%, cancelling out the dimming effect.

* You may have heard about the "inverse square law" which states that from a focal point, as the distance doubles, the illumination decreases to 1/4. (Or as triples, to 1/9.) This doesn't really apply to your situation, because you will be using a reflector or focused source; the effective focal point isn't at the light itself but several feet above it. With an array of lights, the effective focal point can be tens or hundreds of feet above, meaning that you can move the array several feet without noticing a commensurate decrease in luminosity.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

i did my best with the layout and ran 2 rows of 4 spaced properley..... i dont have the br30 bulbs so i put in regular 65w bulbs and did the cheater cord to hook them all up. i turned them all on and couldnt tell any real light was on with the sunlight coming thru the windows.... once dark the room lit evenly tho on the dim side, i am hoping that the right bulb and finishes will only better this- but i am contiplating more lights witha different layout

i have looked everywhere and cant find the spread information on these cans- home depots 6" 6 pack with can model #'s C71CA(H3)

here is the question i have...... i used the layout calculator to figure out layout on the overall space then layed out on the floor and plumbed up into the rafters for placement. should i use this as one cieling OR should i use each side of the ridge as its own cieling giving me 2 cielings in the 1 space and just layout on the cielings themselves (this would double the quantity)????

currently i have the layout of the 21 x 20 room with 8 lights
    the spacing is 2 rows 10' apart- each lamp is 5'-5" apart in the row but the rows are 10' apart.
    if i change the layout to each cieling (2) instead of one it changes to 6 lights on each cieling for a total of 12- 4 more then i have currently...... the spacing changes to 6'-6" apart and the rows are 6'-8" apart not 10.....

I always draw scaled drawings using the cone angle on the lamp's package, which is often 30 deg.

If possible I try to "wash" the walls a bit to show off paintings, fireplace etc.

But, try to eliminate dark spots, as someone already mentioned.

Lastly, buy a lamp with more wattage than you will actually need and use a dimmer, the lamp will last for years not hours.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content