+ Reply to Thread

Default Closed transoms with plaster in them

I just purchased a house built in 1899 which has framing for transoms over the interior doors. I want to open the transoms but when I removed the wood covering one of the transom openings I found plaster there just like the walls, instead of an opening or glass. Do you think the openings were plastered closed after the windows were removed or were they never working transoms but rather decorative woodwork instead? I am concerned that if I try to remove the existing plaster in the transom openings I could damage the surrounding walls if it was done when the house was built. Thanks

Default Re: Closed transoms with plaster in them

Such decorative wood work was common. I have 2 in my home even though there are 7 others that have transoms. One led to what was originally a pantry the other from the kitchen to the from hallway.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Closed transoms with plaster in them

Thanks, that makes sense. The house was added on to in the early 1900's so decorative woodwork is no doubt what they were, the transom openings in question are on what was originally the outside wall.