+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Pressure

Unhappy Water Pressure

Why do I seem to have normal hot water pressure but the cold water pressure is noticeably lower? This is especially true in the basement utility room and washing machine. The town water department ran pressure tests at the meter and other locations and they indicated that the pressure is normal. Within the past year the town's water and sewer lines were replaced under the road in front of the house.

Default Re: Water Pressure

You may have some galvanized pipe that needs to be replaced.
    John

Have you Checked the screen filter in the faucet itself?
    www.newtoncarpenters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Newton Carpenters LLC View Post
    Have you Checked the screen filter in the faucet itself?
    www.newtoncarpenters.com
    If the screens were plugged both hot and cold would be having a problem.
    John

Besides possible galvanized pipes somewhere, you may have small rocks travelling and other junk in your cold pipes.

Check the small screen at the cold side of the washing machine, by disconnecting the fill up line. It could be plugged. If it is, clean it and see if your cold pressure improves.

Do the same checking in the basement.

let us know what you found.

A restriction will not reduce pressure if there is no water flowing. So just hooking up a pressure gauge to various faucets won't tell you much.

You might be able to hook the gauge up to the faucet that's closest to where the water line enters the house. Then, have a helper remove the aerator from each faucet and open it fully while you watch the gauge. The pressure will drop each time a faucet is opened, and return to the "static" pressure when the faucet is closed.

With that, you may be able to identify where the restriction is. The greater the restriction, the less the pressure will drop. If you notice that it drops more at faucets B,C, and D but doesn't drop much at E, F, and G, the restriction may be between D and E. (Assuming that you're at A, B is the next one on down the line to G at the very end.)

One common place for restrictions is at shutoff valves. These often have an orifice that is smaller than the pipe, and junk can get caught there. Sometimes you can work the valve open and closed while water is running and that will free it up. Other times you have to dismantle and clean out the valve (but at that point you might as well replace it with a 1/4-turn ball valve which won't plug as easily).
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Since it seems like two of your problem areas are linked, perhaps start there? Is there common piping that connect those areas specifically or are those two areas the furthest away from the water main?
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content