+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Pouring New Piers Around Existing Ones

You probably don't need rebar for this as long as you are not trying to tie a new piece of footer to an existing piece. As long as it is one pour, you should be OK.

In one case today, I found out that the 8" dia. pier/footer extended down 3' and then sat atop a footer of at least 16" dia. We dug out around the top-- where that "donut" is -- attached a chain and it all pulled right out, but only about 30" of the 8" dia. piece came out. That concrete looked very porous, and it broke leaving a stub. After much deliberation, we finally hammered away at the remaining stub with the tamping bar (sharp end) and managed to break down the stub to the large footer. I don't know how large the footer is -- but we hit solid concrete at least 4-6" beyond that 8". We set a 12" tube atop that.. aligned with where I need the anchor bracket, and filled it to 36" which was just over five 60# bags of concrete. I thought about putting in some rebar to tie my new footer to the big one at the bottom, but since my new one is below frost line, I took my chances.

So what I have is some large footer -- at least 16" dia. -- and atop that I have now poured a 12" dia. x 36" high footer and dropped in a 5/8" dia. anchor bolt. 1 down -- 8 more to go.

Any thoughts on if I should drill into the big footer, add some vertical rebar, and pour may 12" tube around that rebar? I did not today, but I was a bit anxious to get one behind me. We did the wheelbarrow/hoe mix approach, and all in all that was the easiest part of the job today. I got lucky that the 8" piece broke off where it did. There's no telling what I will run into with the rest of them.

Also, now that I'm going with this approach -- http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...-rim-beam.aspx -- I will not be able to rest my joists on what was going to be the concrete piers. I guess I will have to hang the joists with hangers to the double rim joist pretty much as they show. My porch columns are more or less going to sit directly atop the 6x6 post.

Since each post is about 10' apart I guess I need to butt my rim joists together at each post. That only allows 2-3/4" of support. Is that going to be ok? Do I just butt then together at each post? 20' 2x8s are a bit hard to come-by, and harder to handle.

I'm committed to the post approach -- one pier w/hw is in the ground -- another one starting tonight. I just need to re-plan the rim and joists. I need the rim, then joists 10' apart or so, and then blocking between the joists so I can nail down the t&g flooring. The flooring will run perpendicular to the house, so the blocking is parallel to the house, the joists perpendicular. I should probably post a sketchup.

You don't need the rebar at the bottom of the hole. 2.75" is plenty of support, but if you really want a little extra, totally optional here, get a metal plate about 8" long to tie the ends of the inner rim joists together from the backside. A 4x8 nailing plate should be about right, use the 1" 10d nails.

As I said, that is totally optional, but if it gives you piece of mind, then that is worth something.

Keith -- thanks for sticking with this with me. We pulled out the 2nd 8" dia. "pillar" tonight. This one broke off a few inches from that big footer, so within a couple hours we had it out, and the new one poured.

Should I put rebar inside my new 12" dia. pillars/footers? So far, I have not, but I'm thinking I could wire up three vertical bars joined by smaller horizontal ones near the top and bottom. What I'm seeing in the 8" ones is that they seem to have a lot of hollow spots in them and the concrete is failing. They could probably still handle a compression load so long as the soil around them was solid, but they seem to be sitting on a very solid footer -- just misplaced, and a bit too short (such that the cedar column was below grade and rotting some). The two 12" ones I've poured so far have been 36" and 37" which gets me a couple inches above grade.

I see what you are saying about joining the inner rim joists, but as you say, if it's optional, I probably will not. Your other concrete block pier approach was appealing because of the direct support to the joists, but hopefully my double 2x8 rim and double 2x8 joists will be able to firmly support the 6' wide porch. Half of that is supported by the ledger (the new one with real bolts), so it should be good. I'm lining up the 6x6 post and bracket to be about directly under the porch columns +/- an inch at most.

Should I glue the double rim together? nails? or screws? All the hardware specs say 10d or 16d nails, but can I use galvanized screws in some places - like the post to the concrete anchor hardware?

How should I attach the rim joists to the post notch? The FWW video curiously omitted showing that. You see the guy with a drill on the inside of the post in what looks like he could be driving some screws through the post into the rim. I guess that would hide the screws, but clearly not as strong.

Rebar or not to rebar, thats up to you, but when you pour your footing, you should get a length of rebar to use to get the bubbles out. You stick it into the wet concrete and work it up and down, that will settle the concrete.

I do not glue the two rim joists together. You can if you want but I don't see any reason for that, I don't recall ever seeing anyone else do that either.

It is curious that you don't see the mechanical fastening of the rim joists to the posts. If i were to use 6x6 wood posts for piers, I believe I would put the first rim joist on the shelf and screw it to the pier with the same headlock fasteners that I used in the ledger. I think I would use two of these fasteners in each end of each rim board. Thats a lot of screws but it will be solid. The corners will be tricky as you will need to offset the screws so they are not too close in the small corner post.

To really make it look good, I would take a 1/2" spade bit and drill a small relief for the head so that it recesses. Not more than the depth of the head though, about 1/16" to 1/8" deep. I would then do all the other joists for the deck and put the outer rim joist on last. For the outer rim joist, I would screw down with 3" #9 tan deckmate screws with the T-17 point.

I used 3" #8 deckmate screws in my joist hangers for the 45 parts and 1 5/8" #8 deckmate screws for the hanger part. It was a lot easier than swinging a hammer all day. An 18 V drill makes short work of it.

The hangers say "galvanized nails".

Are the deckmate screws ok?

Use roofing nails, not screws. Screws break, nails don't.

Are you still on this project?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Are you still on this project?
    Yes, back at it. Stopped end of May.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Use roofing nails, not screws. Screws break, nails don't.
    The issue is driving in all those nails into the hangers. I have joists from ledger to rim joist, and then blocking from joists to joists. I could air-nail some w/o hangers where I have good access I suppose, but it seems hangers are the preferred way to go. The manufacturer calls for 10d and 16d.