+ Reply to Thread

Default Washing machine turning clothes blue

OK, before anyone says it: No, there are no pens stuck in the washing machine, and no, it's not caused by jeans or other blue clothes staining the other clothes.

Now with that out of the way....what ELSE could cause a washing machine to stain all the clothes blue every time I wash clothes?

Some more info: House has well water, has a water heater and water softener.
    Last edited by exranger06; 04-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Default Re: Washing machine turning clothes blue

Is it a top loader or front? If it's a top loader, maybe something got behind the drum. Or the drum has something on it that stains your clothes.

You could try to clean it by running it empty with white vinegar in the water.

If you hand wash your clothes do they turn blue?

Does your water have sulfur? Do you have copper pipes? Perhaps the sulfur in the water is reacting with the copper to create copper sulfate, a bluish compound.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

It's a top loader. I haven't tried washing clothes by hand yet. I tried running cleaner through the washer already.

Add baking soda and vinegar to the washer then run without any clothes in it. Maybe even some Oxyclean then see what happens
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Interesting I am curious to see what the solution is

There is some blue corrosion on the pipes, right where the hoses attach to the valves. It looks like there is acidic water corroding the copper pipes and turning the water blue. I found a picture on line that looks like the corrosion I have, but I can't post it until I have 10 posts. Try using the link below to see what it looks like.
    www . h2oguy.com/images/WatQualEvidence/greenpipes640w.JPG

So, now the problem is, how do I make my water not so acidic?

A special water filter can balance your water pH. You'll need to do your own market research to choose a filter that's right for you.

howdy i have a few pairs of blue jeans that could use a good washing in your machine to renew the color - lol
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Make sure to check the pH levels in your water. A home water system might be a solution for you. Otherwise you could try changing the copper piping to pvc or another option that better suits your budget.
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content