+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balance Systems

Default Balance Systems

Considering window replacement/repair. Is there any balance system which is clearly superior to rest?

tubular vs tape spring? which is better?

What should I be considering?

Default Re: Balance Systems

I generally replace the balances with whatever is already there unless there's an overriding reason not to. It makes the job easier and the repairs should last at least as long as the original balances did. While you're in there you might want to renew any glazing, paint, caulk, and weatherstripping too while you've got everything apart.

Phil

I have removed fully functioning 70 year old pulley operated windows. Can't say that for the other types.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I have removed fully functioning 70 year old pulley operated windows. Can't say that for the other types.
    And the pulleys have been letting outside air infiltrate for 70 years. The tape/spiral balances were designed to get away from the drafty weight pocket/pulley.
    Not that I don't agree with your point, they are mechanical and wear out within 40-50 years, often less. I still have weights and pulleys on my 1906 windows!
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I find Constant Force balances don't break unless you set out to break them. Easy operating force up and down, hence the name.