+ Reply to Thread

Default emergency pump in basement in case of burst pipe

I plan to install an emergency flood pump in my unfinished basement in the event a water pipe,hot water heater,or relief valve on the furnace should let loose. I have had the unfortunate experience of such malfunctions in the past and its something i would rather not repeat.

I cut a hole in the concrete floor and buried a 5-gallon joint compound pail flush with the floor surface. I could either run a hose from the pump to a hole outlet just above the foundation a distance of about 8 feet total height OR tap into an existing drain pipe that exits the house after the main trap

My questions.....

1)Tapping into the drain pipe would be most practical, however is there some sort of a check valve assembly that could be incorporated in the system to prevent sewer gas from passing through the pump. A trap would work but would need to be filled constantly as no water would be passing through the system regularly.

2) what is the best brand of pump to use and what would optimum pipe sizing and GPH specs be? Max head?

3) is there some sort of warning system that could be set up to automatically notify via telephone or email or at a minimum trigger an alarm or flashing light in the event of a plumbing failure?

Thanks

Default Re: emergency pump in basement in case of burst pipe

Howdy there are a whole host of options and the $$$$ too. There are back flow valves for floor drains to prevent sewer back ups. A sump pump in a proper pit and draining out side is a good option. Shutting off the water main when your not home is a free one. My many years of homeowners claims- the biggie is washing machine hose failures- consider upgrading to stainless steel wrapped hoses and simply tune the water off when not using the washing machine. If you have a water pressure regulator make it set at 45psi - this makes a failed pipe to a fixture a lot more un likley. and on an on. Having good insurance with a low deductible an consider flood insurance - you just never know
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Default Re: emergency pump in basement in case of burst pipe

I agree. A sump pump wouldn't be a bad idea. I would also highly suggest using a water alarm in conjunction with it or purchasing a sump pump that already has that feature. That way you can be sure to rest assured against seepage and leaks.
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content