+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Master bedroom is hotter than rest of the house, including the masterbath

We have had heating and cooling issues in our master bedroom since we moved in 4yrs ago, the house was built in 1983 I believe. During the summer the room is the hottest part of the house, so the ac is set to 74 or 73 and runs continuously along with the ceiling fan and floor fan to make it comfortable to sleep at night. We also have to leave our bathroom door and bedroom doors open to help get the cool air from the other rooms.
    During the winter when the heater is on, it becomes the hottest room and rest of the house is cold. We added a second vent to the room to help get more cold air during the summer, but doesn’t help. We have checked the temperature of the walls with infrared thermometer during the summer and winter and they are all within 1 or 2 degrees of each other thru-out the entire house. What can we do or check to figure out this issue? Please help thank you.

Default Re: Master bedroom is hotter than rest of the house, including the masterbath

Forgot to mention also, that the distribution box in the attic that all the ducts are connected to and splits the air out to the rest of the house is located within a few feet of the master bedroom, so the runs to the room vents are probably no longer than 5ft to 6ft, probably alot shorter, but still closer than the rest of the vents in the house.

taking temp reading at the vent shows consistant at all the vents in the house. But the temps are night and day in that room.

Default Re: Master bedroom is hotter than rest of the house, including the masterbath

does the bedroom have vaulted ceilings? if so, is it the only room in the house that does? what's the situation with the insulation above the bedroom ceiling?

another question. is your air handler sized properly to handle the cubic feet of the interior of your house? are the vents in the bedroom of adequate size for the space?

The room does have a partially vaulted ceiling, if that makes sense, the top of the ceiling is flat and on one side(exterior) the ceiling comes down at an angle.

Ill try to post a pic of what i mean later.

And the unit according to 2 A/C techs that came out while we had the home warranty said it was ok, it was just enough for the house, of course recommended replacement of the entire system for over $12k, but thats not an option.

The new vent that was added last summer has a larger duct and the vent itself is the same size as all the others in the house.

when the AC is on, you can climb up to the vents and feel a good force of air coming out, but just doesnt seem to do it, but you walk into the master bath and its night and day in there, walk out into the living room and again night and day temp wise, the side of the house where the thermostat is located is between our other 3 rooms and bath and those rooms during the summer get cold when the ac is on.

In the winter, we can turn on the heater, and the master gets so freaking hot, but the rest of the house is cool and barable..

Where is this house located?
    How hot does it get outside?
    To what side is the master bedroom facing (south, west, east)?
    Have you checked the vent to the master bedroom?

We are in houston, the room faces south, the vents are 1yr or less old, the duct was replaced on the old existing and a new one was added to the room, so we have 2 vents into the room.

Right now the temps have been nice spring weather, hasnt got hotter than 80 consistantly, today i think was the hottest so far this year for us.. but we have had in the low 100's few years ago. that was worse for us, with 2 floor fans, ceiling fan and ac to be able to sleep, but we coudl go anywhere else in the house and it was cool/cold.

Lately its been cool at night, and in the mid 70's during the day, but freaking hot/warm in the room. So lastnight after work, while the sun was still out, i walked around the entire room with my infrared thermometer with laser.

What i found was that at the bottom of the walls close to the floor the temps were in the high 50' to mid 60's, around the middle of the walls, the temps were in the high 60's to low 70's, then when i got up to where the walls met the ceiling the wall temps were in the high 70's to low 80's

one area the temps were in the 90's, i think i know why that part is, but what i dont understand is that interior walls that are not exposed to the outside woudl have such high readings, i can see an exterior wall being higher temps, due to lack of insulation.

With that said, what are my doable options / suggestions? clearly the insulation around the top of the room is lacking..since we are no where need time to remodel the room yet, is there anything in the mean time that can be done? Right now we have 2 floor fans and 1 ceiling fan trying to keep us cool and the A/C also, and summer isnt even here yet..

Having one part of the house, especially your master bedroom be hotter/cooler than the rest of the house can be pretty uncomfortable, especially during the times of year with more extreme weather. This could be due to several reasons including improper HVAC installation and/or insulation problems. There are several companies that offer a technician to come to your home and assess your problem at no cost to you. Most of them even include an estimate of exactly what may be wrong. Even though DIY may be a project, sometimes it's prudent to get the advice of a professional before attempting a project with sensitive costly parts such as HVAC.

~Retroloco-LJ

By no means im i trying to do it all myself, but installing or replacing existing insulation i can manage, replacing ducts i can do and have done. I added another vent to the room to try and help last year and didnt help, even though the air coming out of the vents is in the low 60's around 62 to 63, the room is warm all night..