+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: failed inspection....

Quote Originally Posted by gwilkrrs View Post
    yes- i fully understand he is the boss, and doesnt like to be questioned......

he failed me for tub not installed(wanted to see piping prior to closing walls in in case there wasnt an access panel-(slab on grade)and a nail plate that was questionable needed. he drew on the permit how he expected to see it piped-- drain, trap, "T" picking up the overflow going into a long sweep 90 to main line.

i installed tub, plumbe his way and plate.

he failed me for a plate i didnt need.
    i installed plate without question

he failed me for overflow piping.

i will correct it. my issue is with the inspector. i believe he is just peeved. we had a disagreement during the ground work that he got overruled on by the chief inspector and it has been ruff since. he failed ground work over the vent- i had it plumbed as a y (rolled up past the 1/2 point)off the main line as a dry stack vent. he failed it prefering wet vents. this would have been 7' more pipe then needed and going thru 2 window jack legs- un needed. i was respectfull when i asked him if i met code, he replied yes but i prefer wet vents over dry vents, i replied i wanted a second opinion because code is code and he wasnt inspecting to opinion and preferences.....
    He sure isn't wrong about the tub overflow being after the trap. That is wrong in all codes. I still don't understand how you did that.
    John

my issue is with the inspector. i believe he is just peeved. we had a disagreement during the ground work that he got overruled on by the chief inspector
    i replied i wanted a second opinion because code is code and he wasnt inspecting to opinion and preferences.....
    These were your first and second mistakes. 1 - You greet the inspector with a smile and offer a cup of coffee/water/donut/whatever. 2 - You keep your mouth shut.

Whether you agree with their calls or not, it is their authority and they DO NOT like it questioned or overruled. We may not like it, but it is a fact of life. More inspectors are idiots than not, so you must suffer the bad along with the good. In my career, I can count on one hand the number of good inspectors I've had and it takes an abacus to track the bad ones.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    He sure isn't wrong about the tub overflow being after the trap. That is wrong in all codes. I still don't understand how you did that.
    He built it per the inspectors drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by gwilkrrs
    he drew on the permit how he expected to see it piped-- drain, trap, "T" picking up the overflow going into a long sweep 90 to main line.

Quote Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post
    He built it per the inspectors drawing.
    I'm sure he was talking about the tee on the trip waste before the trap not after it. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of plumbing would know you can't have an overflow before the trap.
    John

i understand why he is miffed. i was not about to call off concrete and re do work because of opinion and wants. his way was bad and would have failed me further down the road on framing with his drilling thru structural members (king studs and jacks for windows)for no reason. he was wrong. he also drew the sketch on the failed inspection tag that i followed. his answer to that is they only suggest but not authorize thier drawings and they are for reference for help. i did it exactly how he drew it- no misinterpretations- its is wrong i admit that and it will be corrected BUT he told me he wanted it that way......

If you think you have a case, and you can prove that this inspector is out there to get you, take your case to his supervisor.

I'm not saying that you are right or wrong, and some of the answers here tell you how to behave around the inspector, but these answers are not the rules.

Ask the supervisor to assign you a different inspector. Good luck.

Are you doing the work yourself? what are your qualifications?

Look: judges and lawyers speak their language, doctors and nurses speak their language, politicians definitely speaking their language - well, inspectors and contractors have their own language too, which DIYers sometimes don't know. Some inspectors may be fed up with DIYers, you never know.