+ Reply to Thread

Default asymmetrical house remodel ideas

Hello all, I'd like to get some ideas on how to remodel the exterior of my house to make it more symmetrical. I'm going to get an architect to go over this, and other projects, but I'd love to get some ideas first.

The right side of the house comes out further than the left. I really don't like how the roof extends further down, leaving just enough room for an oddly small window.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Rekonn; 04-15-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: added pic

Default Re: asymmetrical house remodel ideas

Below is the floorplan for the second floor. The odd little window is from a storage eave, off the 2nd bath. IMO, it's useless space.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not that the brains around here can't come up with brilliant ideas for you, but I think you can get better results faster talking to architects and generals near you.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with your house now. Why bother something that's not broken? Also, when you're inside the house, you can't see your exterior faults.

I'm just a lay homeowner who tries to be practical . . .

your house is either solid brick or brick veneer, and I don't think masonry work today is inexpensive, or competent compared to the old masters. Every brick house I've seen that has been expanded is awful looking due to using siding, and even solid brick additions show color differences. I don't think you can really do brick-based exterior work without risking your retirement plan and getting low payback for spent money (it's never an investment when EVERY renovation pays back less than 100% with a kitchen at the top at 80-85%).

Changing roof lines ? well, the #1 purpose of a roof is to protect the house by keeping the elements out & carrying away water. I'm very impressed with the design elements around this and I discovered my own gutter system may be engineered too light to deal with Cambodia type weather (No. Virginia) - - so the engineering is just as important as the expense of modifying a perfectly working roof.

The thing about meeting with professionals, any professional, is that they will recommend themselves and make money only by doing a transaction. Go to a surgeon, and he/she'll recommend surgery even if another procedure is better. What I'm saying is that an architect will give you ideas for a retainer fee (or time & cost) and underestimate what it will cost to carry out a plan, and you may start on something that just won't make financial sense. I don't think you buy a brick house to do major external modifications.

In the interior, I would say you should investigate the possibility of taking down the storage eave wall in the common bath (if not load bearing) and integrate the space with the bath room; it isn't full height in the front, but you can do some 1/2 height or built in storage to supplement the hall linen closet. It doesn't address your unhappiness about the exterior, but once again, I say a major modification is a money pit given the "built to last" approach of brick construction.

Howdy whats the budget for renovation? I will go out on a limb here an say perhaps a landscape designer to change the bushes an possibly trees. The front door color in my opinion needs changing and the color of the roof shingles if they are worn out or soon to be a different color might do wonders not to mention the trim paint color. These aren't hugely expensive and a great place to start. The tiny shed roof above the front door changed out to a copper one maybe? Hope you have fun figuring out what you will enjoy.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Smile Re: asymmetrical house remodel ideas

Interesting, thanks for the warnings on modifying brick veneer exterior. I kinda knew it would be more expensive and difficult to match the look of the existing brick. I didn't set out to buy a house to do external modifications, this was just the best option available. The Boston suburb housing market is hyper competitive, and this is actually the fifth house that we've made an offer on. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things I really like about the house, just not that window, heh.

I'm just in the brainstorming phase right now, there's no urgency. If this winds up being a project we take on in a couple years, that's fine.

I don't have a budget for this yet. I have a rough idea of what certain interior remodel projects cost, but I really have no clue on external stuff, and that's something I'd like to learn more about.

We are already going to demo and redo that bathroom. I'm thinking about changing the roof line and getting more height our of the storage eve space. If we move stuff around, maybe that would let us get the washer and dryer up there instead of in the basement too. How much would something like that cost?

Timothy, I agree that landscaping is definitely needed. Not a high priority though, that's something fun my wife and I can work on ourselves over time. I agree on repainting trim too. I hadn't really thought about the door or roof shingle color, what do you have in mind?

Thanks dj1, after all this, I may wind up not changing the exterior at all, and it's nice to know some think it's fine.

Howdy got to thinking later on that the small windows might be eye catching if you went with stained glass . Also some paint stores have computer programs that allow you to upload your homes photo an try out all kinds of color combinations. The roof on this home is very visible so when you need to replace the shingles might want to change to different color. Landscaping an making the home yours is a wonderful part of owning a place. Best of futures to you an yours
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Consider installing shutters on the small window. The shutters will make it look wider.

Let's say I waited until the roof needed to be replaced, and then did something like the pic below. Very roughly, how much would that cost? (don't mind the crappy photoshop skills)