+ Reply to Thread

Default GFCI Outlet Vibrating

So just a few minutes ago a GFCI outlet in our kitchen connected to a phone started vibrating and making a noise like it was a cell phone in vibration mode on a counter. The GFCI now will no longer reset. The other 2 outlets on this circuit are working fine, and I have reset the circuit breaker a few times with no luck on resetting this outlet. I know I need an electrician, but my question is should I be concerned and get one in right away or can I wait tell Monday? This was some serious vibration and noise being generated by the outlet. No smell of smoke or anything.

Default Re: GFCI Outlet Vibrating

Most likely the relay circuit in the GFCI went beserk and you will need to replace the receptacle. Not likely to be an emergency.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Get a quality replacement, cheap GFCIs fail a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by nauko View Post
    So just a few minutes ago a GFCI outlet in our kitchen connected to a phone started vibrating and making a noise like it was a cell phone in vibration mode on a counter. The GFCI now will no longer reset. The other 2 outlets on this circuit are working fine, and I have reset the circuit breaker a few times with no luck on resetting this outlet. I know I need an electrician, but my question is should I be concerned and get one in right away or can I wait tell Monday? This was some serious vibration and noise being generated by the outlet. No smell of smoke or anything.
    Actually, if the circuit breaker is tripped and can't be reset it means you have either a bad GFCI and possibly a wiring problem as well. GFCI's will not reset without being powered up first.

Kitchen require at least two 20A GFCI circuits. The one that works OK is not part of the problem.

As long as the breaker is off, wait for an electrician...it will probably be a quick fix.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content