+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I Install Aluminum Fascia On Fascia Without Removing Gutters?

I've got a 1930's 2 story house with wood fascia board. The fascia has been painted in the past but is needing re-painted or covered and I'm opting to cover it with aluminum. I've had 1 estimate done from a reputable contractor so far and it came in around $1700. I mentioned something about removing the gutters and he said that they would probably just slide the fascia up behind the gutters without removing them. The gutters are fastened to the fascia with the standard gutter nails and from what I can see, they're pretty snug. So, my question is it common to install the aluminum without removing the gutters and is this a good idea? My main concern being, how do you handle the gutter nails? Just cut a groove in the aluminum to accommodate the nail? Seems like that would leave a small gap where water could leak in behind the aluminum...? To me, removing the gutters was the main reason I was thinking of hiring a contractor. If that's not necessary to do the job right, I'll probably tackle it myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Can I Install Aluminum Fascia On Fascia Without Removing Gutters?

that contractor is opting for the easy way out.

it's almost pointless to do it that way. the aluminum will only go as high as the top of the gutter so when it rains, any water that might over flow the gutter or otherwise drip behind it will get between the fascia board and the aluminum leaving you in a worse situation had you not installed the aluminum at all.

if you're going to bother covering the fascia with aluminum, which is a fine idea, then take the gutters down, make sure everything behind the gutters is in good shape. completely cover the fascia board with the aluminum then reinstall the gutters.

when you get another quote, tell the contractor you want a price on removing the gutters, completely covering the fascia and reinstalling the gutters....no arguing the point, that's the way you want it done

mlb is right. the aluminum cladding should be installed so it tucks up under the roofs drip edge. by doing so water cant get at the subfascia
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks for your replies. Let me ask you this. Why do you say that the aluminum will only go as high as the top of the gutter? Is it because the aluminum will hit the gutter spikes and can't go any higher? Would it be at all feasible to remove a few gutter spikes at a a time, slide the aluminum up behind the gutter and under the drip edge, then re-fasten the gutter using gutter screws?

Quote Originally Posted by keharrisuiuc View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Let me ask you this. Why do you say that the aluminum will only go as high as the top of the gutter? Is it because the aluminum will hit the gutter spikes and can't go any higher? Would it be at all feasible to remove a few gutter spikes at a a time, slide the aluminum up behind the gutter and under the drip edge, then re-fasten the gutter using gutter screws?
    The gutter's nails will be in the way. The way you describe of doing one section at a time will be almost impossible to do.

If you were to use aluminum to cover the wood, then do in a way that water can't hit the wood. However can you do that?

Personally, I think installing new fascia is a better idea.

Tucking the facia under the gutter will be OK as long as there is roof flashing under the shingles that hangs inside the gutter.
    The only way water can get in is if water gets to high in the gutter "for whatever reason" then backs up over the backside of the gutter and runs behind the new facia..
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

it's not a big deal to take the gutters off and put them back up. one of the most important steps is to be able to check behind the gutters for rotten wood or damage.

Yes, Aluminum facia can be installed with the gutter still on the wall. This can be accomplished by using a flat bar and a hammer to remove a section of the gutter spikes, once removed the new aluminum facia will be able to slide up and be tight with the shingles. If you have an exceptionally long run of gutter especially if it is on the second floor of a house this is often the preferred method since the long run of gutter can be easily damaged.