+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling paint peeling/chipping in bedroom

My kids room is in desperate need of a paint job. The problem is the paint is peeling in various places on the ceiling. It seems to be getting worse and worse. I live in a 1950s cape style home in upstate NY. The space above the bedroom is the attic located next to the bedroom upstairs. I dot think there is much insulation in the attic. I also want to mention that the wall that faces the outside had visible moisture and mold growing (which I cleaned). The other wall faces the garage, which probably isn't insulated very well. I'm thinking my whole house needs to be properly insulated and that might fix those problems, but not sure which route to take. Help please Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Ceiling paint peeling/chipping in bedroom

Hi several issues. The paint peeling is likely due to excessive moisture and age. The mod also an indication of moisture. So The roof an attic first. Is the attic vented? more vents at the eve then at the peak one sqft roof top vent for every 400 to 600 sqft of attic space - rule of thumb. The roof venting allows the moisture in the home and attic to be released. The insulation dept in the attic also affects many things. The insulation can be increased in several ways. Your cold zone needs a well insulated attic and walls. Do you have a humidifier on the furnace or otherwise if so turn it off as this will reduce humidity. Baths have exhaust fans? if so run 30 mintures after use to rid the humidity. paint peeeling address- check it for lead as kids bedroom....
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.