+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Painting bathroom

Hi there,
    I am doing prep work to paint my bathroom - drywall upper and shower stall ceiling, plus wooden panels. What type of primer and paint would you recommend? I have almost a full gallon of Zinser oil based primer. What about paint, which one is the best?
    Thank you,
    Housedoc

Default Re: Painting bathroom

Zinnser primers are good quality and are easy to use. As far as top coats, stick with name brand paint dealers such as Kelly Moore or Sherwin Williams, among others, and stay away from the garbage the big boxes carry, especially Behr.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Unless you have the best exhaust fan known to man, make sure your ceiling has at least a little bit of gloss to the paint.
    Last edited by function; 04-15-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: words escape me
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

What kind of semi gloss? Latex or oil based?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Housedoc View Post
    What kind of semi gloss? Latex or oil based?
    Thanks
    Whatever makes you happy. If you are painting over primer you can use either. If you paint with oil based, next time you paint you will need to either primer or use oil based again.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

howdy i would recommend a latex with a fungiside added to it. Oil and mold/ fungus= not happy campers.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Just to spite Spruce, I have been using Behr Ultra Eggshell in my baths and laundry! I have had nothing but great results with the product. My guest bath, which my son manages to stream up during long hot showers, is holding up especially well.

Behrs' Nano technology formula gives great adhesion and inherent mildew protection, although all Behr products contain chemical mildecides also.

If I have had a complaint with the Behr Eggshell Ultra, it is that when going over a well sealed wall, it has more like a sateen sheen. I am not a big fan of high sheens, just from the point of personal aesthetics.

One of the benefits of Behr Ultra is that it allows the use of low sheen paint where traditionally a semi-gloss would be used for protection against moisture. The nano particles form an extremely dense, moisture resistant finish.

Thank you all!
    Ordjen, high gloss is also not on my list of preferred finishes. Besides, I have a generally good experience with Behr (sorry Spruce), not that you would call it experience in true sense of word. (BTW -I did not like Benjamin Moore - left unsightly streaks on my wall...)
    Do you think I will need 2 coats of Zinsser oil primer and 2 coats of Behr eggshell ultra for better waterproofing? I don't mind spending extra time and paint to get superior results...
    Thank you,
    Housedoc

Housedoc,

One coat of oil primer is sufficient. As to whether two finish coats of Behr Ultra Eggfshell is neccessary, it is a judgement call. If one coat looks good, that should be fine. Certainly, two finish coats does not hurt.

On the drywall surfaces I would use a water base primer.. On the wood sections I would use an oil base primer, only if raw.. I would never use an oil base paint.. 1 if you spay & 2 coats if you are going to brush & roll
    I work for Hidden Content