+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: any disadvantages to Pex plumbing?

Copper isn't a panacea, either.

Certain water conditions may cause corrosion of copper, or react with the copper to leach harmful copper compounds into the water.

Some plastics indeed are harmful, but polyethylene is considered a food-safe material by the FDA. Milk jugs are made of polyethylene; paper milk cartons and the lids of glass milk bottles are also coated with polyethylene. Cross-linked polyethylene is even more stable and less likely to leach harmful compounds into the water.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Copper isn't a panacea, either.

Certain water conditions may cause corrosion of copper, or react with the copper to leach harmful copper compounds into the water.

Some plastics indeed are harmful, but polyethylene is considered a food-safe material by the FDA. Milk jugs are made of polyethylene; paper milk cartons and the lids of glass milk bottles are also coated with polyethylene. Cross-linked polyethylene is even more stable and less likely to leach harmful compounds into the water.
    Know that's something I didn't now. Thanks Fenchpost
    John

Polyethylene is also used in artificial knee, hip and other joints inside the human body, it is the cushion between the metal parts.

Srry for resurrecting old thread, just thought of something related. Does anyone cover PEX in steel conduit or something similar? I wonder if that would address the durability weakness of PEX? It would suck to have to tear into a wall looking for a leak caused by a rodent or an errant nail.

There is another version of PEX (PEX-AL-PEX) that is designed for use in hot water heating. It has a flexible aluminum core surrounded by the PEX plastic on both sides (in and out). That design provides additional durability if you are concerned about an animal eating the plastic coating and causing a leak. However, I assume its also quite a bit more expensive than standard PEX.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by guy48065 View Post
    I'll remember that next time some environmentalist tries to convince me poly lasts forever.
    Plastics do not degrade to a non-toxic or non-contaminating form . . . And environmentalists can claim some credit for removing lead, reducing benzene, etc. in gas formulation, among other anti-freedom initiatives, so American kids can choose to lower their IQ by other means than breathing air.
    Last edited by t_manero; 07-09-2013 at 10:19 AM.