+ Reply to Thread

Default 1875 Home Plaster

Hello all, my partner and I bought our first home last spring, and now that we have spent our 1 year anniversary in the home, we are ready to start the hard work. The home was built in 1875, and has been added on to who knows how many times. It is a 1 story home, with a half basement. We LOVE the high ceilings and the old home feel. But it certainly has some issues that need fixed. The walls are solid brick (3 thick I believe), but 3 of the outside walls have vinyl siding over the brick (previous owner did this). The interior side of one of those walls has plaster crumbling off. The plaster is applied directly to the brick. Now I have 2 questions:

1. Is the vinyl siding causing the water problem that is causing the plaster to crumble?

2. What is the best way to repair this? The majority of the wall is crumbling, and it is getting significantly worse.

Now I am a DIY guy and love to fix stuff. Therefore I would like to do the repair work myself. However, I am a complete lamen when it comes to home repairs, so please keep this in mind when giving advice Thank you.

Default Re: 1875 Home Plaster

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM4A1 View Post
    Hello all, my partner and I bought our first home last spring, and now that we have spent our 1 year anniversary in the home, we are ready to start the hard work. The home was built in 1875, and has been added on to who knows how many times. It is a 1 story home, with a half basement. We LOVE the high ceilings and the old home feel. But it certainly has some issues that need fixed. The walls are solid brick (3 thick I believe), but 3 of the outside walls have vinyl siding over the brick (previous owner did this). The interior side of one of those walls has plaster crumbling off. The plaster is applied directly to the brick. Now I have 2 questions:

1. Is the vinyl siding causing the water problem that is causing the plaster to crumble?

2. What is the best way to repair this? The majority of the wall is crumbling, and it is getting significantly worse.

Now I am a DIY guy and love to fix stuff. Therefore I would like to do the repair work myself. However, I am a complete lamen when it comes to home repairs, so please keep this in mind when giving advice Thank you.

Question 1
    Yes the vinyl siding would cause this problem.
    The results of the vinyl over the brick would take about 10 years to show effects of the moisture problem.

Question # 2
    Best material for repair would be Red Top Wood Fiber Plaster.
    Next is Red Top Two Purpose Plaster.
    Last would be Structo-Lite plaster.
    Also note that on todays standards plaster applied direct to brick is NOT recommended.
    But than also NOTE that it has lasted for over 130 years and yes it is still repaired appling plaster direct to Masonary substrates.
    Being yours is crumbling most of it will be detacthed from the brick.

Thank you very much Clarence. The top layer of plaster is the only one crumbling right now (and the paint over it), but the brown layer underneath seems very hard and not squishy. Should I just replace the top layer, or should I take it all the way back down to brick, apply a bonding agent, and plaster?

You can replace the top coat with no problem.
    USG Diamond Veneer plaster would be the lowest S for material.
    But you can use a high cost Venetian white coat it would be the most user friendly.

Alright good to know. Thank you very much Hopefully I can get some before and after pictures and post them once I am done.