+ Reply to Thread

Default Vinyl fence post hitting footing

Hi All,

I've started to layout my fencing and I'm almost ready to get started. The vinyl fence posts
    are 108 inches/9 ft and they go in 36 inches with 6 inches of gravel. When I started
    digging only about a foot down I hit the footer extending from the house. If I move the
    post out farther out I will be like a foot from the house to avoid the footer but then given this
    is my end post I'd have a huge gap. What do I do in this situation?

Thanks,

Greg

Default Re: Vinyl fence post hitting footing

go as deep as you can and then anchor the post to the house

Quote Originally Posted by junkout View Post
    go as deep as you can and then anchor the post to the house
    I just don't think it's deep enough at all, I looked again, it's more like 8-10 inches down. i'm hitting. I'm wondering if
    the vinyl just will push through the notches, so if I set it a foot out just push the top and bottom rails through the
    holes, it would not have support but it would only be a foot, wonder if it would be okay with just the vertical
    tounge and groove boards supporting it.
    Last edited by Gaprofitt; 04-13-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Do as junkout suggests and anchor the post to the house. You will likely have to cut the bottom of the post off to maintain your rail positioning. 1/4" lag bolts with fender washers (large diameter washers ) will do the job. If possibly, go into the framing of the house, not just the siding, especially if going into stucco.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Do as junkout suggests and anchor the post to the house. You will likely have to cut the bottom of the post off to maintain your rail positioning. 1/4" lag bolts with fender washers (large diameter washers ) will do the job. If possibly, go into the framing of the house, not just the siding, especially if going into stucco.
    Ok, I will have to drill a hole on the outside section of the vinyl post to be able to get my drill in to drill in the lag bolts. I can certainly go into the wood studs. That will make the post sit on the footings, so then concrete around it as much as possible or just forego the concrete. I'm attaching a gate to this post, maybe I should rethink and put my gate elsewhere.

I wouldn't hang a gate from this post. Either swing the gate from the other side, or use a different (i.e. stronger ) material for the post. If you use wood, do not put the post in contact with the ground, just attach to the house (preferably with flashing between it and the house ). Since you're hanging a gate off of it, 3/8" lag bolts would be better.

Another option would be to use the standard vinyl post, set in the ground just to the side of the foundation, then install a short section of fence to close the gap between the post and the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce is right on. Use wood for the post (4x4) and attach it to the framing with three 3/8" lag screws. Don't put the post in concrete and don't let it touch dirt. That's your best option.

The other option of having the post away from the building and then close the gap with a small fence is only good for narrow gates (under 3" wide).

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    The other option of having the post away from the building and then close the gap with a small fence is only good for narrow gates (under 3" wide).
    It works for larger gates too, within reason, if you're sneaky! I won't complicate this thread with that though.