+ Reply to Thread

Default Question on Andersen replacement windows

I am looking to replace some windows in my home. The contractor bidding the job is trying to sell me the Andersen 200 series windows. I did a little research and found the Andersen 400 series windows were of better quality and not that much more expensive than the 200 series ($100-$200 more each). The contractor just told me that he cannot get the Andersen 400 series windows in the correct size to match my rough openning (44X39). He says the closest rough openning they have is 37 5/8 X 44 5/8. I find this hard to believe. Is this true? Thanks.

Default Re: Question on Andersen replacement windows

I like to get windows from a local window makers, not because Anderson, Marvin or Weather Shield are not good, but because I deal with the owner directly, not with a salesman who started last week.

National window makers can't and won't give you the same kind of attention as a local maker. A local guy will even custom build windows to your sizes. Plus the jobs stay local, and for me that's a consideration.

That doesn't mean that I won't install Pella windows from Lowe's - it all depends on the customer.

Default Re: Question on Andersen replacement windows

Quote Originally Posted by Canaligator View Post
    I am looking to replace some windows in my home. The contractor bidding the job is trying to sell me the Andersen 200 series windows. I did a little research and found the Andersen 400 series windows were of better quality and not that much more expensive than the 200 series ($100-$200 more each). The contractor just told me that he cannot get the Andersen 400 series windows in the correct size to match my rough openning (44X39). He says the closest rough openning they have is 37 5/8 X 44 5/8. I find this hard to believe. Is this true? Thanks.
    I just joined this forum and found this question. Each manufacturer makes several lines of windows. The 200 series is a 'Builders" line. Good window. But, as you found, there are better selections. If you engaged this contractor as part of a bidding process without adequate specifications as to your expectations, this is what you can expect. That said, window sizes have changed historically and not all sizes are supported by a particular line or model of window. If you are looking for the best advice re: which model to purchase - best bet is to contact Anderson. Also, you can go on line and see all of the sizes available in the 200 and 400 series. Usually each manufacturer provides windows based on 'modular sizes' which will allow you to come very close to your size opening.

We chose to install Pella 15 years ago. Went to a Pella Retail Store. They quoted a competitive price (compared Anderson and Marvin) based on a window which we were able to specify. ie., insulated glass, low E, snap in grids, prefinished, measured to fit, Pella installer was their subcontractor.

Be aware that Lowes and Builders Square (et. al.) carry the "Builders" models in the most common sizes. Typically the sales staff is not highly trained in selecting, sizing and installing windows. A low-priced window, even if of good quality, can carry hidden costs. If the sizing is not custom or original equivalent - there will be installation issues which require custom fitting of trim on both the interior and exterior.

Be careful when changing windows. Often a custom size will actually be your best choice from a cost perspective. You need to question a contractor on the installation details and the trim changes required to make 'standard sizes' work. Be sure the new trim will reflect your goal. Know whether you are looking at single-hung, double-hung, casement or awning styles when you consult the catalog.

Look at other installations by the same contractor. I know that this a lot more information than you requested - but your questions reflect a level of expertise which can benefit from this additional info.
    Last edited by Glenn Smith; 07-10-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spell checker malfunction