Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default What should be the voltage on coax cable?

    I'm moving to a new place. Yesterday I connected the TV to the coax connector on the wall and accidentally short circuited it. I saw an electic arc and the TV tuner stopped working. I'm afraid it was busted. I touched the conductors and felt a shock.

    Is it supposed to carry a voltage high enough to cause a shock? I later connected another TV that I don't care to bust and was able to get over the air channels. Should I use a surge protector in the future?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: What should be the voltage on coax cable?

    since you mentioned over the air channels, I would surmise that you have a rooftop antenna and if so, yes it can have a voltage on the coax. If your antenna has an amplifier at the antenna, then the power to the antenna amplifier goes through the coax. It should have harmed the TV though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Fayette County, Ohio

    Default Re: What should be the voltage on coax cable?

    If your antenna is not grounded the induced signal in the coax is not referenced to ground and can read several thousand volts until it is referenced. This can cause a large high voltage spark as it is being connected.

    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Columbiana, Alabama

    Default Re: What should be the voltage on coax cable?

    So, do you have satellite as well as an antenna? Is so, is the mast grounded as well as the power for the satellite receiver?

    Does your good TV not work anymore?

    Do you amplify yor antenna signal? If so is it fed from a grounded outlet?

    Is the power outlet grounded?
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts