+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool hose out-of-round

Yup. Stepped on the end of my garden hose and now it is out-of-round. So whenever I connect the sprinkler or nozzle, the connection spews water and I end up soaking my pants! (how embarrassing). I tried to put a round metal rod in it, then hammer it back to round, but obviously not well enough. Any ideas? (the rest of the hose is fine, so don't want to buy a whole new hose)

Default Re: hose out-of-round

Replace the end. You will need the inner diameter of the hose.

1 - Go to hardware store and buy replacement hose end.
    2 - Cut damaged end off hose.
    3 - Insert replacement end into hose and install clamp.
    4 - Done! Step back and admire your work.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

didn't know that could be done. Tx!

I am not a fan of the all plastic replacement ends, I like the brass ones that come with a screw down pipe clamp.

I have had too many leaks with the plastic ones, and occasionally they just popped right off.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

roaryro,

You know that what spruce suggests is a good temporary fix, maybe good for a while, but eventually will start leaking. That's the nature of garden hoses.

Considering the costs and the headache, I'd replace the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by function View Post
    I am not a fan of the all plastic replacement ends, I like the brass ones that come with a screw down pipe clamp.

I have had too many leaks with the plastic ones, and occasionally they just popped right off.
    They come in many styles and materials, as long as you choose a good one there won't be any troubles. I've used most of what is out there and the ones that have the clamp seem to hold the best and not leak.

DJ makes a good point as well about replacement. If you choose the right hose end, you shouldn't have too many problems, but the larger end will make for a somewhat bulky thing to handle. You may want to turn this into a secondary hose and buy a new primary hose. Can anyone ever have too many hoses?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Talking about garden hoses, I see a lot of TV commercials for those new hoses that resemble firefighter's hoses. My neighbor just got one, because it was "buy one get one free" and I got to try it, and it works pretty good. Only $12.99 + shipping for two 25' hoses.

I've seen hoses come and go. I'll wait a year to see what happens to these hoses - if they stay or disappear.

I have never had a problem with the plastic ones, never had one leak. I prefer the toolless models because they give you a nice big fat end to grip which helps these old hands get a tighter fit to whatever i am attaching. The $2 plastic ones from wally world work OK once you get them on, but they don't have quite as fat an end to hold onto and they are a little harder to put on, but they are cheap.

I absolutely hate the brass ones with the hose clamp. You can't get much of a grip on them and what you are gripping is very uncomfortable as it digs into your hand, especially the tag on the metal hose clamp.

I have yet to have a plastic hose end fail on me before the hose itself gives out, and I use rubber commercial hoses, not cheap plastic ones.

Many hoses have lifetime warranties. If yours is such, you might be able to get a free replacement.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Tx everyone for the great suggestions. I am avoiding buying a new hose because A) there's nothing wrong with the rest of the hose, B) I'm a firm believer in fix-it-first, C) big enviro-recycler, and D) I already have enough old hoses made into soakers.

I enjoy hand-atering in the front yard so I can talk to neighbors (just hate having the backlash of water soak my pants so it looks like I had an accident! ha ha)

Will try the plastic clamp first (for economic reasons), and maybe look into a quick connect (I too have older hands that have a touch of arthritis and screwing on/off the attachments can be a pain--literally and figuratively).

No if that doesn't work...maybe Roger can come visit me in northern NJ and show me how it's done! (humma humma! hope he's blushing!)

;-D