+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diyjeff

Default Diyjeff

Seeking experiences with folks who have used push on copper fittings(solderless) vs. std fittings and soldering.

Would like to install washing machine shut off(singe lever ball value) and am considering using push on fittings to make new connections to 1/2 pipe once old style(rubber washer based) shut off valves are removed.

Default Re: Diyjeff

You will be far better off if you use compression valves if you don't want to solder.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...essionxmht.jpg
    John

I wouldn't trust a push in fitting like shark bite for copper pipes.

If you don't want sweat fitting, compression fitting is your best option like john said. It's easy to install, using a couple of wrenches, and it gives you a leak proof connection.

i've used them for temporary reasons and even then i felt uneasy about it.

i haven't read any tests on them so i don't know much about them. but one thing i do know is that i've never seen a plumber using them. that alone speaks for itself. plumbers love new gadgets or materials that save time and this doesn't seem to be one of them.

I've used the Sharkbite fittings and have experienced no problems with them. I have some that have been in for over 3 years.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The Sharkbite fittings (brand name for push-on fittings that's becoming a generic term, like Kleenex) and others using similar technology have an 0-ring that forms a watertight seal and a stainless toothed washer that supplies the mechanical retention.

Removal of the fittings is by means of depressing inward a ring at the "pipe" end of the fitting. This spreads the teeth of the toothed washer allowing it to be removed. Once properly installed, it will be nearly impossible to remove without pressing the release ring.

These fittings require that the outside of the pipe be absolutely clean and smooth. It is also absolutely essential that the pipe be FULLY inserted into the fitting -- it's easy to not get it all the way. Do not twist the fitting, as that would cause the toothed washer to scratch the pipe making it more difficult to get the O-ring to seal. If you ever hear of a failure of one of these joints, the most likely cause was that it was not fully inserted.

One caveat: if the fitting is allowed to repeatedly spin relative to the pipe, it could wear out the O-ring causing a failure.

If professionals don't use them, it's because the cost of the fittings runs as much as 10 times the cost of normal fittings.

On a personal note, my cousin half-a-country away had a pipe in her house freeze and burst last winter. Since she couldn't afford to hire a plumber and had no plumbing skills, I advised her -- via facebook -- to use Sharkbite fittings. She successfully repaired her own plumbing with them.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.