+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement and Sump Pump question

I have a home built in the 40's. It does not have a sump pump. In the middle of the floor where there are some long cracks, I get seepage after heavy rains, not a ton but still. If I installed a sump pump, could I just run a drainage line across the middle of the foundation floor back to the sump pump, instead of going all the way around the perimeter of the basement? Most of the basement walls are half finished or framed.

Default Re: Basement and Sump Pump question

many times a sump pump in one corner of the basement is adequate to keep the water level below the entire slab. but not always. in massachusetts we have several companies that specialize in sump pumps and interior and exterior french drains. they all offer free estimates. so my advice to you is to call one or two of these companies and get a free estimate. now the good part, follow them around and ask questions, where would they put the sump pump and why....does it need a perimeter drain or not and why. this way you will get a little lesson. also, chances are that these local companies might know your area and the associated high water table areas.

this is basically impossible for us to answer without visiting the house and doing an inspection so i think what i wrote is probably the best thing for you to do.