+ Reply to Thread

Default two sets of wires??

Hello and thank you for your help!

I am trying to install new cans for my recessed lighting. My experience is only with extremely straightforward wiring: white-to-white, black-to-black, and ground-to-ground.

I thought that would be all I had to do here, but the wiring of the old fixture turns out to be more complicated. It looks like there are two sets of wires coming in and two going out. I thought maybe one pair was just "passing through" but it looks like all four sets are intermingled.

I am thinking that I could take the black and white wires that exit this box towards the old bulb, cut them before the bulb and then connect those with the white and black in the new fixture's box. Is this okay? I am worries about leaving all the old connections in place without really understanding their purpose. Also I would have nothing to connect to the old ground wire in the new fixture's box. Is this a problem?

I am attaching a pic of the wiring in the old junction box. The cable on the bottom left is the one that goes out to the old bulb. Looks like the white there is connects with all the other whites, while the black connects only with the blue wire coming in on the bottom right. I don't know where the other wires come from and go.Fyi, this is one of four lights on the same switch and there is a dimmer on that switch.

So, can I do the simple cut I suggested or do I need to reproduce all of this in the new fixture's box? Thanks a ton to anyone who can explain this in a way I can understand.

Default Re: two sets of wires??

sorry the picture upload is not working. i will add the pic later if i can figure it out

Load your photo to a site like photobucket.com and post the link here.

dj1, thanks for the photobucket suggestion. here is the link:

i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b590/melsi2/d8bea0f1-42f7-4456-8be3-29f434876e88_zpsc4f0e77a.jpg

If you post the IMG Code the picture shows up in the post

Is by any chance one of your existing lights a fan/light with the fan turned on and off with a wall switch?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack. In the kitchen where these lights are there are four recessed lights that all have the wiring as shown. These are on the same switch with a dimmer. There is also a single light in the center of the room, and there are two other switches that control that light. In the next room there is a door to the porch, where there is a ceiling fan. Next to the porch door there is a switch that controls the fan (speed and light with dimmer).

I don't think there would be wiring for the outside fan in the kitchen, and if there were I don't get why it would be wired up with each of the recessed lights. I guess its possible that at one point the central kitchen light had a fan, but there is no evidence of that by looking at it.

I can only foster a guess at this point. I would guess the blue, black, white cable goes to the dimmer switch. The bottom left cable is power with its black connected to the blue wire going to the switch. The black wire from the switch is the switched black going to the lights. All the commons are tied together. If that is so, connect the new light to the white bundle and to the black bundle and ground to ground.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb