+ Reply to Thread

Question Tips needed for cleaning out a Pellet Stove

I'm hoping someone here has a DIY instruction for me on cleaning out my pellet stove now that winter is gone. I know you're supposed to do it at least once a year, make sure it is completely cooled off before beginning, empty it out, don't use harsh chemicals. I've done it once before but it was a real mess and a pretty tedious job. I'm wondering if someone has their own pellet stove and has some helpful tips/pointers to avoid such a mess like last time. Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance
    Your Hidden Content
    Where Healthy Living is Built In Hidden Content

Default Re: Tips needed for cleaning out a Pellet Stove

I would consult with the owners manual or the manufacturer's website for the proper care and maintenance of the stove. Getting ideas from others is great, but it is the manufacturer's instructions that matter most. Who better to know how to maintain your stove than the company who made it?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, this is a messy job, but you can stay on top of the mess by controlling the dust and ashes.
    You have to disassemble the stove completely, then use your wet dry vacuum cleaner to get all the ashes and soot out of the chamber and the burner.
    Keep some water in your vacuum cleaner, to keep the dust down.
    Wear a mask.
    Vacuum around the auger too.
    Wash the glass door, you may have to use a single edge.

I've cleaned more than a few floor and wall furnaces in my life, and a pellet stove, a bit more complicated with more parts, is basically the same.

For the glass on the door, I don't recommend using a scrap=r or razor blade, as that can scratch the tempered glass which could cause it to shatter unexpectedly when heated.

You can buy a product specifically for cleaning stove windows. I believe it is a dilute sodium hydroxide (lye), similar to oven cleaner but not quite as strong. (It's not an acid, it's a base/alkali.) Wear rubber gloves, eye protection, and a respirator or at least a dust mask, just as you would when using oven cleaner. Breathing overspray is very painful.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 04-11-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

"For the glass on the door, I don't recommend using a scrap=r or razor blade, as that can scratch the tempered glass which could cause it to shatter unexpectedly when heated."

Used properly, there is no danger of scratching the glass.
    What's proper? 1. wet glass. 2. hold blade at a small angle (10 degrees). 3. don't force the blade, let it just glide.