+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garage side entrance door..

I have a 36 inch prehung entry door that sits on a sloped (pitched) concrete floor. The gap under the aluminum threshold is 3/4 inch to nothing, has a 3/4 inch shim on one side and the void is filled with expanding foam. Lately , I've been having water coming in under the door. I'm planning on installing a new door and I would like to know how to go about this the best possible way?

Default Re: Garage side entrance door..

make a long shim made out of Azek and seal it up with a silicon based caulking.

How do I make a long shim that is 36 inches long and 3/4inch thick to nothing???

Use your saw. If you have a table saw, it's better.
    Mark your line on your 36" long wood, from 0 to 3/4", then run the wood through the saw. Do it in such a way that you don't lose any fingers.

but the board should be at least 4inches wide. Can't really do that on a table saw.. Can I ? (36" times 4", 0"-3/4" thick). Table saw blade only goes so high, about 3inches high.

Quote Originally Posted by TGreen View Post
    but the board should be at least 4inches wide. Can't really do that on a table saw.. Can I ? (36" times 4", 0"-3/4" thick). Table saw blade only goes so high, about 3inches high.
    You are making a mistake here. The shim doesn't have to be 4" wide. It can be as little as 3/4" wide - all you do is slip it under the threshold on the outside, to seal the gap. Then caulk around the shim to make it waterproof. The threshold will rest on the foam you had there before.

buy a piece of azek, rip it to about 1-1/2" to 2" wide by 36" long. then rip the angle you need to match the floor. fill under the door with spray foam insulation. insert the shim which will only go 1-1/2" to 2" under the threshold. then caulk up around the sides and floor with a silicon caulk.

ahhh... I see now. I should probably make 2 of those long shims. One for the outer edge and the other on the inside edge underneath theshold. Thats makes it more sturdier, no down and up movement when walked on. Thanks y'all

Quote Originally Posted by TGreen View Post
    ahhh... I see now. I should probably make 2 of those long shims. One for the outer edge and the other on the inside edge underneath theshold. Thats makes it more sturdier, no down and up movement when walked on. Thanks y'all
    just make sue you use a composite like azek. if you use wood and it's exposed to the weather it won;t last more than a few years.

good luck

Thanks for the tip on composite shim spacing under a door. I'm about to have to deal with this issue as well..