+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint & primer for new construction

We will have about 900 sq ft of new drywall plus ceiling to paint. Any paint recommendations? It's for a finished daylight basement.

I see they advertise paint and primer in one. Has anyone used this?

Default Re: Paint & primer for new construction

I prefer a drywall primer (2 coats) and wall paint.
    Yes, it's more labor, but it's better.

dj is right if you have drywall.

if it's blueboard and plaster then you should use an oil based primer followed by latex finish paint.

Primer: Zinnser Bull'seye 123 (blue label )
    Paint: Kelly Moore, Sherwin Williams, paint dealer quality, stay away from the garbage in the big box stores, especially Behr, it's junk, junk, JUNK!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'd prefer a professional painter, but, unfortunately, budget dictates we paint it ourselves.

Howdy I believe if you read the paint an primer cans instructions it is to apply to an already painted surface not for bare drywall.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

If you have bare drywall, I agree with the other posters - you most definitely want to prime it before painting. You'll get a much nicer finish and end up using less paint in the process. Also you want to pay attention to the moisture factor and make sure you use the right type of paint that best suits the room. If it's somewhere where you'll get a lot of moisture, definitely be cognizant of that when shopping for the materials that you'll be using.

~Retroloco-LJ
    www.fhfurr.com

I personally prefer a dedicated drywall primer for new construction. It is designed to seal and bond to that porous drywall paper and compound. The primer is perhaps even more important than the finish coat. After all, you will never again be able to bond to that virgin paper!

Further , why use a $30 plus gallon of paint as a primer when a quality 100% acrylic primer can be had for only $13 or so? Remember, that bare drywall really sucks up primer, even more so if the walls are textured. There are situations where Paint and Primer in One paints are cost effective, but not as primers on new drywall!

Lastly, avoid the cheaper PVA based drywall primers. The acrylics are far superior, especially if your finish coat paint is of a higher sheen.
    Last edited by ordjen; 05-17-2013 at 12:37 AM.

I think you should with dj's advice. Drywall primer is the best option, as it will give you a good finish look.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    The primer is perhaps even more important than the finish coat. After all, you will never again be able to bond here!
    This should be printed in huge bold lettering on the front of every can of paint! (I altered ordjen's wording to make it universally applicable)

Lastly, avoid the cheaper PVA based drywall primers. The acrylics are far superior, especially if your finish coat paint is of a higher sheen.
    "PVA" stands for "polyvinyl acrylic" but agreed that single acrylics (MA, or "monoacrylic"? ) is much better.

So long as you box all of it together since it's tinting varies a bit, I've had good results on low-grade and utility ceilings from swimply applying two coats of white "Kilz2" latex stain-blocking primer. The excess is still good for it's original purpose somewhere else and and there's less leftover material to deal with, with only one thing to buy instead of two. The Zinnser products do just as well and while I find no difference some others here prefer them over Kilz. YMMV!

Phil