+ Reply to Thread

Thread: banging pipes

Default banging pipes

We have a well and in the basement also a pressure tank (don't know whether that's important. In our previous house we also had a well, which was shared with our neighbor, whose house was built first. I don't know whether they had a pressure tank (used for both of us?). Anyway, we didn't have a pressure tank and never had any noise from the water pipes. In our new house we had banging/rattling pipes from the beginning, especially when using the washer. Since we replaced our tank water heater with an on demand water heater the noise has just escalated. Any time we use water we have noise - even when it's just the heat kicking on, because we have an aprilaire whole house humidifier (from the pump kicking on and turning off? presumably pumping more than needed since the water comes in with an 1-inch(?)pipe which later is scaled down to 1/2 - 3/4 inch - just guessing). I happened to come across a video by Richard showing the installation of a "Water Hammer Arrestor (water-hammer shock supressor)". This installation was done at a bath tub. I am wondering whether this would solve our problem and whether two (cold and hot) would do it and where they should be installed. I assume it should be closer to where the water comes into the house (basement).
    Thanks for any input.

Default Re: banging pipes

water hammer arrestors can be installed at each fixture that causes the water banging. also have the plumber check your pipes and make sure that they are properly secured.

Try securing the pipes tighter first. Sometimes that's the only thing wrong. Keep in mind that most of the pipes are hidden.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, install water hammers.

Thanks for the reply.
    We'll check the pipes first. There are however pipes that shake, that cannot be secured, i.e. the pipes that come down from the joists or are otherwise "free hanging" that go to the pressure tank, the water softener, the tankless water heater etc.
    Since we have the noise each time the pump(?) turns off, whether we are using water at the sink, whole house humidifier when the furnace kicks on, water softener recharging (at night), shower, steam shower or appliances like the washer (which is especially bad since we get the additional hammer from the valve shut off), we were hoping for a "whole house solution" for this problem. I have searched the internet and have found different water hammer arrestors. Amtrol makes the one that was used in an episode of Ask This Old House at a bathtub, but they also make 2 other bigger ones. Unfortunately their website doesn't give information on whether this would be appropriate as a 'whole house solution'.

For "free hanging" pipes, it will be a good idea to install blocks between joists (short 2x4s) and clamp the water pipe to the block, every 2-3 feet.

For copper pipes use only copper clamps.