+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Broken p-trap

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default Broken p-trap

    I had a very slow draining vanity sink and after drain cleaner and plunging didn't fix it I decided to check the p-trap. The pipes are chrome and when I tried to remove the p-trap nuts they basically shattered. All I've got now is the long chrome pipe connected to the waste pipe in the wall. I'm not sure how it's connected (i.e. soldered) and can't really see any kind of nut back there holding it on.

    I'm wondering what my options are now. I'd like to replace everything with a plastic p-trap but I don't know how to remove the chrome pipe or even if I need to. Can I cut it off and use some kind of adapter fitting to connect the remaining chrome to the plastic p-trap? Do I have to remove the chrome piece entirely? Should I give up and call a plumber?

    I tried to upload a pic but it won't accept any image formats.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South*East
    Posts
    1,168

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    Many of the older chrome P-traps were soldered. Can you see any of the pipe other then the chrome? I would advise against making a connection to what remains of the old trap. It's in as bad a shape as the trap. You need to get to the pipe the trap was connected to. There are fernco couplings that will fit over the copper and onto a new plastic P-trap.
    John

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    You should be able to adapt pvc to the existing chrome pipe.
    Go to the local hardware store and tell them what you are doing. It never hurts to bring your old trap with so they know what you are dealing with. You could go to a big box store,but if you have not done this before you would be better off spending a few bucks more to deal with somebody at a hardware store who knows what he is doing,as opposed to some pimple faced college kid at the BB store who does not know what a p-trap is.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South*East
    Posts
    1,168

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    Quote Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
    You should be able to adapt pvc to the existing chrome pipe.
    Go to the local hardware store and tell them what you are doing. It never hurts to bring your old trap with so they know what you are dealing with. You could go to a big box store,but if you have not done this before you would be better off spending a few bucks more to deal with somebody at a hardware store who knows what he is doing,as opposed to some pimple faced college kid at the BB store who does not know what a p-trap is.
    Why would you connect to a decaying section of pipe?
    John

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Why would you connect to a decaying section of pipe?
    I wouldn't. How do you know it is?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,480

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    Quote Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
    I wouldn't. How do you know it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by ratkindler View Post
    The pipes are chrome and when I tried to remove the p-trap nuts they basically shattered.
    Drake, that right there is a pretty good clue that there is a problem with what remains of the tailpiece.

    I've never seen a soldered tailpiece, but concur with John that you don't want to attach to it. If there is no obvious means of removal, then call a plumber to take care of the problem properly. Doing the job right may cost a little more now, but it will save you a great deal of money by avoiding leaks and failures down the road that not only have to be redone properly, you then have collateral damage that must be repaired as well. Doing things right the first time is ALWAYS the cheapest way to go.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,073

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    My 2 cents:

    With such old plumbing, you need to replace the whole thing: drain set at the sink, p trap and waste arm to the wall drain. Like John and Spruce say, we've seen these pipes fail again and again.

    The plastic parts are really inexpensive and any trained handymen can do it. Avoid future leaks, do it right the first time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    There's about 1-2 inches of waste pipe coming out of the wall. There's green corrosion on it. Does this mean it's copper? My guess is that the chrome pipe is soldered in. What's the best way to cut the chrome pipe? There's not much space to work under there. I was thinking of using some sort of coupling between the metal waste pipe and the new plastic p-trap before I give up and call a plumber.

    [my post count is too low to post images or links to images]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,073

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    Copper was seldom used in residential drains in the past.

    You can cut the drywall around the waste arm and see how it's connected to the wall drain. Take a picture at this moment and upload it here. When you finish the job, you can re-seal it.

    If you can't remove it from the wall drain, then cut it with a recipro saw or a hacksaw. To connect a new plastic waste arm, use a flexible coupling with clamps. HD and Lowe's have them.

    (To send a pic: upload it to a host site, like photobucket.com, then post the link here).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South*East
    Posts
    1,168

    Default Re: Broken p-trap

    Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Copper was seldom used in residential drains in the past.

    You can cut the drywall around the waste arm and see how it's connected to the wall drain. Take a picture at this moment and upload it here. When you finish the job, you can re-seal it.

    If you can't remove it from the wall drain, then cut it with a recipro saw or a hacksaw. To connect a new plastic waste arm, use a flexible coupling with clamps. HD and Lowe's have them.

    (To send a pic: upload it to a host site, like photobucket.com, then post the link here).
    For the first 20+ years I was in the plumbing business copper was all that we used in residential homes. Before that it was cast iron and steel pipe.
    John

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •