+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Smile How to create a wall opening between Living Room & Kitchen with existing metal studs

I would like to create an opening between the Living Room and Kitchen. The condo is built with metal studs. I don't have any experience with metal studs and looking for some good advise on how to get started. This is a non weight bearing wall. I am also looking to create a small counter area within the opening to be used from the Kitchen side. Even if I don't attemp this project myself, I still would like some information so I can be sure the contractor I hire has the experience with metal studs to do the job correctly.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can pass my way.

Default Re: How to create a wall opening between Living Room & Kitchen with existing metal st

Commercial drywall contractors deal with metal studs pretty often, and are often the ones that erect the non-load bearing walls themselves.
    The project may involve removal of the whole wall and multiple contractors (one for the wall, one for the counter) or removal of the whole wall and a new wall built the old fashioned way(with wood 2x4s).
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Default Re: How to create a wall opening between Living Room & Kitchen with existing metal st

They should not have to take out the whole wall, but they might have to take out floor to ceiling for the width of the opening, but they shouldn't have to do that either.