+ Reply to Thread

Talking What are some ideas to use for building a rasied garden bed out of trash/recyclable.

I was going to plant a garden out in my backyard this year, until my mom reminded me of all the woodchucks we get in the summer!

I've spent around $30 on seeds, and now I'm afraid if I plant them out back, everything will get eaten!

So now I'm looking into building some plant beds.

There is a portion of our roof that is pretty low to the ground. It can be reached from our porch. I thought I could put a strawberry plant bed, and a carrot plant bed up there.

Then I want to make some raised plant beds to put other places in the yard.

I'm trying to think of materials I could re-use and turn into these plant beds. Materials I might have laying around, or could get off craigslist fairly cheap.

Any ideas?!

I've heard of using recycled car tires. But apparently you're not supposed to use them for edibles because of metals that end up contaminating the soil? So I suppose that rules that idea out.

Default Re: What are some ideas to use for building a rasied garden bed out of trash/recyclab

Plant your seeds in the garden as you first planned. Then about once a week, save some of your urine (pee in a bottle) and put it in a gallon garden sprayer with water and spray around the edge of your garden.

The alternative is to plant enough for both yourself and the critters that visit your garden. The trick is to get to the garden in time to get your share before they get theirs.

Certain breeds of dogs can help also, it just depends on what your priorities in life are.

Default Re: What are some ideas to use for building a rasied garden bed out of trash/recyclab

A friend of mine has a woodchuck problem, so he has his veggie garden in large pots, on his deck (about 4' off the ground).

Although human urine is effective, you can purchase coyote urine and urine from other predators that is also very effective. Used cat litter, the non clumping kind can also be spread around the perimeter or in a pile on the prevailing wind side of the garden. Not sure if a cat can take on a woodchuck, but if it smells like cougar, it might work.