+ Reply to Thread

Default Jacks/Braces to hold up framing? (Replacement of beam in basement)

Recently, I had a contractor come in to give me a quote on rocking, mudding, and taping an unifinished basement. He noted a span of about 8' of the basement where a pair of 2x4's are holding up the upstairs floor joists, without support from underneath. We'd bought the house like that, and hadn't thought anything of it, but when he indicated it's a potential hazard, I thought, "Yeah, I can't let it go like that." I plan on either replacing that length with 2x10s or shoring it up from underneath with 2x6s and jack studs.

I realize I have to temporarily build two walls to support the joists in the ceilings, but I'm not sure I want to use up so much lumber afterwards (don't really think I have a use for so much spare lumber after the job is done). I want to look into renting the adjustable jacks to use as supports under the temporary wall headers, but I can't remember what those jacks are called? Framing jacks? Adjustable wall jacks?

Thanks!
    Oz
    EOD - Initial Success or Total Failure!
    DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. 1998-2013 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

Default Re: Jacks/Braces to hold up framing? (Replacement of beam in basement)

Found it: "Jack Posts".

Now to find a rental place for pricing. . .
    EOD - Initial Success or Total Failure!
    DISCLAIMER: All thoughts and ideas put forth in this communication are sole property of the voices in my head. 1998-2013 - 'The Voices' (TM). All rights reserved.

i never heard them called jack posts, which very well may be another name for them. in the north east they are refered to as temporary lally columns or adjustable lally columns.

here's a link with pictures and descriptions.

http://www.octoberhome.com/articles/...ustcolumn.html

In the end, the lumber will be cheaper, even if you have to turn it into firewood afterwards. You could also check with your local Habitat for Humanity to donate it afterward, and it is possible that they may have a "second hand" store in your area where you might find some previously used lumber for the project.

I've used BOTTLE JACKS in the past. There are the same jacks you use to raise your car. Here you will use them to raise the 2x supports.

As for the lumber, it's always good to have some 2x around the house or in the garage. There are dozens of uses for them.